Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bourney

Honda Accord

16 posts in this topic

still looking at sensible cars, and noticed that Accord's seem to be good value. high spec, stylish, powerful hi tech engines etc...am i missing something?

I bought an Accord because of the low milage it had. Traded it in after 12 months, and a big hit on price, because it was uncomfortable. Reliable cars, but not my cup of tea.

I have had 6 my current one is 25 years old and never misses a beat. It also has abs and electric everything which all works. They are the most bomb proof cars on the road.

I had one on a 3 day trial about 4 years ago, I didn't want to give it back at the end but ultimately too small for my job.

Cheers BB

my mum's got a '99 version whihc she gets serviced once a year - it happily pootles about the shires doing 40-50 mph and then copes well with a blast down to devon or somerset every once in a while.

the seats are a bit narrow in the hips though but ok unless you are a man monster (i fit and i aint thin).

i have a 54 plate accord tourer (estate). i can get my mates wifes electric wheelchair in the back plus a ton of shopping and 5 adults so space isn;t an issue (for me anyway). it's reasonably quick (130 indicated on a private road occifer) and handles ok if a little disconnectedly (mums 99 plate is he best handling fwd car i've ever driven and it;s an auto too). cdti engine is amazing but watch the exhaust manifold (recall and free warranty repair if under 125k miles) and the clutches / flywheels can be a bit iffy if not installed correctly.

other than that - a spacious cruiser that'll last until the heat death of the universe.

thanks chaps, mostly positive if maybe a bit dull/ unatractive by the sounds of it - sorta explains the depreciation againt what i always thought was a quality motor and out of my league. i think i am going to take a look. its a 54 reg with 50k on clock 2.0 VTeC engine in silver with half leather, cruise control etc for £4999. which is 2k cheaper than the same age/ milage/ lower specc'd Touran!

I bought a Civic 1.6 petrol around 8 years ago with 50k on the clock. Sold it 2 years later with 100k and it still purred like a sewing machine. Great engines and general mechanicals but the bodywork started going a little. At the right money and in the right condition they are a no-brainer if you don't care less about the 'pensioner' image.

My sister had a 54 plate 2 litre with all the toys and it was very nice indeed - quiet and comfortable. *

However, on its original tyres (Goodyears I think), it was also the most terrifying car I ever drove -I took it 10 miles down a B road in the wet and the front was so skittish and jumpy that I was continually scared that it was going to dive off into a hedge (and no, I wasn't speeding - I was sat at 35mph on a road that I can comfortably take at 60 even in my wobbly old Range Rover!).

However, a year later and with twoMichelins on the front it was fine, so what I'm trying to say is, make sure you test drive any one you're thinking of and, if the ride is skittish, budget for a tyre change!

* - of course, being Japanese, it was also completely dull. Apart from the scary ride bit, obviously..........

It's a Honda: it won't go wrong (6 1/2 years of a Civic & a Jazz 7 only a problem with an air bag sensor, Mrs B's had her Civic for 4 years & no probs at all); the VTEC engines are pretty good; that sort of money you won't got too far wrong.

I had an Accord Tourer (estate) with the 2.2 diesel as a company car from '05 - '08.

It never let me down for the entire three years.

It was good to drive with a very responsive engine and the load area was massive. It also had incredibly comfortable seats so was really great for long journeys.

On the whole, I rated it highly.

I bought one new in 2001 a 1.8 petrol vtec and it's been superb , I've still got it and it still drives like new even with over 150'000 on the clock and it's needed nothing other than routine servicing .

I think the service schedule plays a part in the depreciation , it's every 9'000 on mine although I think they pushed it up to 10'000 on later models and Honda's servicing isn't the cheapest around .

As already mention they are dull and uninspiring but if you want something that will

" do exactly as it says on the tin " you could do a lot worse than an Accord .