monya

Are you a critical listener?

critical listening time   77 members have voted

1. 1. critical listening time

• less than 25%
    • 25% - 50%
    • 50% - 75%
    • more than 75%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

45 posts in this topic

What % of the time your system is active is spent in critical listening by which I mean concentrating on the music to the exclusion of everything else, eyes open or shut - whatever.

With me it's about 100%. If the system is on, I want to listen to what's being spun. If I want music as wallpaper I'll use the portable.

monya wrote:

What % of the time your system is active is spent in critical listening by which I mean concentrating on the music to the exclusion of everything else, eyes open or shut - whatever.

With me it's about 100%. If the system is on, I want to listen to what's being spun. If I want music as wallpaper I'll use the portable.

Ditto for me. I'm either listening carefully, or I don't bother. Background music is for lifts.

S.

I'd like it to be 100% but there are times when I deliberately choose a CD (quite often a compilation) to have on while I go about other business.

Regards,

Lindsay

I voted 25-50%, but the truth is, I just don't know. I mean, I don't see that much difference in listening with my eyes closed or while cooking, for example. Even with my eyes closed I'm distracted by my thoughts quite a lot. On the other hand, I found myself listening very closely to music while I'm cooking, because I'm very relaxed when I do that and most of my brain watches so I don't chop my fingers off, so no distracting thoughts there. Granted, no sweetspot or any of that audiophile stuff, but somehow I don't quite miss it, sometimes. Must mean I concentrate on music, huh?

I don't have a portable, nor do I have a second system. I have an open plan ground floor, so I can listen to my system very well while I faff about. I enjoy the technicalities as much as the next person, but at the end of the day it's music I want to hear, it's making me sing that I want it to do and if in the process I happen to be amazed by the sound of the drum or the cymbals, or whatever, then it's even better. But primarily, I want music to make get in touch with my feelings, not make me analyse it. Not sure it makes any sense, but that's how I feel about it.

I'm not quite set-up for critical listening as I'm in the middle of getting rid of a noisy laptop for a quiter desktop effort, although as above I find I don't miss out on much when not 100% listening critically, but I voted less than 25% for the sake of accuracy. I listen mainly whilst browsing the net, but it's deffo not just background lift music. shock horror, man capable of multi tasking!

DEALER

gthang wrote:

If my system is on i'm sitting in the sweat spot.

I can't afford to run my amp for background listening, have a dab Roberts radio for that.

Sat in the sweat spot? Sounds disgusting :sick:

I have more than one hobby so to enjoy them all I do them at the same time, so its really one of pragmatism and as Matt says I can multitask quite easily.

Dean...

Alexxus wrote:

I voted 25-50%, but the truth is, I just don't know. I mean, I don't see that much difference in listening with my eyes closed or while cooking, for example. Even with my eyes closed I'm distracted by my thoughts quite a lot. On the other hand, I found myself listening very closely to music while I'm cooking, because I'm very relaxed when I do that and most of my brain watches so I don't chop my fingers off, so no distracting thoughts there. Granted, no sweetspot or any of that audiophile stuff, but somehow I don't quite miss it, sometimes. Must mean I concentrate on music, huh?

I don't have a portable, nor do I have a second system. I have an open plan ground floor, so I can listen to my system very well while I faff about. I enjoy the technicalities as much as the next person, but at the end of the day it's music I want to hear, it's making me sing that I want it to do and if in the process I happen to be amazed by the sound of the drum or the cymbals, or whatever, then it's even better. But primarily, I want music to make get in touch with my feelings, not make me analyse it. Not sure it makes any sense, but that's how I feel about it.

A well balanced approach. You'r not as nuts as the rest of us er - me, I mean!

SergeAuckland wrote:

I'm either listening carefully, or I don't bother. Background music is for lifts.

S.

Agreed!

Music demands to be listened to and should provoke a reaction.

I'm sure we all have other hobbies too but there is only one that you can focus on completely at any given time. I've always been into music then hifi, cycling ,rugby,most sports actually,bikes, old cars and women. or is that cars and old women?

It is impossible to devote yourself to them all.

Each one that is a passion will get your love and full attention periodically. A passion is a passion and by it's very nature, the word means briefly.

The female of the species claim they can multi-task. Multitasking means that you are not doing any one job to the best of your abilities. They do not seem to understand this.

Multitasking is the epitome of passionless.

X.

XJC wrote:

A passion is a passion and by it's very nature, the word means briefly.

Multitasking means that you are not doing any one job to the best of your abilities.

X.

You know, I'm always amazed how sentences delivered in such a convinced tone get the ring of axiomatic truth. What makes politicians successful, I presume. Even if most of it is complete rubbish :roll:

From my point of view, of course :) Sorry mate, just couldn't keep quiet, all that stuff so completely does not apply to me.

XJC wrote:

X.

Are you having a windup? Or are you incapable intellectually of doing more than one thing at a time? and understanding what you are doing, feeling, and ultimately experiencing because I am and so are many others. Now I'll spin this around, anyone who has to focus totally on the music above all else is intellectually challenged :D

Dean..

I always multitask when I'm listening, as I find that breathing and keeping the heart pumping are essential to musical enjoyment.