Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Neilb

MF A1008 CD

7 posts in this topic

OK Ok OK

Firstly lets keep all MF/AM comments out of this. Each to their own on that. The question is simple. Are these any good? Lintone Have been selling ex dem ones for pretty good prices (800-1000 quid). That seems like pretty good value to me.

How would one of these compare to something like....say.... a Marantz SA-11S2 or, at the slightly less expensive end, a Rega Saturn for example??

Neilb wrote:

OK Ok OK

Firstly lets keep all MF/AM comments out of this. Each to their own on that. The question is simple. Are these any good? Lintone Have been selling ex dem ones for pretty good prices (800-1000 quid). That seems like pretty good value to me.

How would one of these compare to something like....say.... a Marantz SA-11S2 or, at the slightly less expensive end, a Rega Saturn for example??

depends i think if it has Phillips LF PRO2 transport yes otherwise not much differance

if it has an earlier pro 2 not LF even better IMO ect ect

Alex A wrote:

I'd avoid it mate, not because it sounds bad, but becuase it's fugly
You may have a point there, as I don't like the looks of my own A5 CDP. On the other hand, I love it as a player and I heard other guys say they love the way it looks. I find the A1008 looks decidedly better, all the more so without that silly knob on top they used to have on the original version, so that is neither here nor there.

Judging by my A5, the A1008 should be a cracking player. Whether better than your Marantz I can't say, as I've never listened to one, but at 800 pounds is hard to get wrong with it.

Alex A wrote:

I'd avoid it mate, not because it sounds bad, but becuase it's fugly which makes bad MF resale values even worse.

Ugly? You think?

I quite like the look of it myself.

When I sold my A1008 amp I had 130 watchers on ebay by the end, so a lot of people like the look of this range. I guess it's a personal taste thing. I thought the amp was absolutely superb and I really miss it, and the salesman said the CDP was pretty good too, but maybe not quite as stunning as the amp for the same money. In his words, he thought it was more of a £2k player but excellent value at the prices they are going for. A plus point is these things are really easy to sell on (at least on ebay).