opusover21

Guide to Using a Mac Mini for Audio

54 posts in this topic

Any software required to use Spotify premium through Airport Express on PC? If so, please recommend something that works well!

Nice post, I currently run a Gen 1 ATV as a server with xHDD but a mini will be on the books if it ever dies. You may want to add USB connection to DAC as an option, there are quite a few external DAC's onthe market that will take a USB input from a MAC or PC.

I am not sure if it is the iPad I am using or the article itself but there appears to be some text corruption makes reading he post a touch difficult.

I thought I would post here to keep threads together and I'm sure that others may find replies useful.

As I run a mac, and hearing about the wonderful db power amp being much better than the inferior iTunes for ripping, i discover db is windows only.

Is there a better program available that rip better than iTunes?

I found this:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23430/x-lossless-decoder

Or is there better? Or am I being paranoid? I was thinking of ripping in third party software, such as x-lossless, and dropping the files into iTunes?

If I rip in itunes AIFF, am I chained to itunes forever? If so, what's the way around this?

Many questions that 10 hours on the net have not answered. Many thanks and best regards, Lee

There is also MAX and RIP

http://sbooth.org/

I thought I would post here to keep threads together and I'm sure that others may find replies useful.

As I run a mac, and hearing about the wonderful db power amp being much better than the inferior iTunes for ripping, i discover db is windows only.

Is there a better program available that rip better than iTunes?

I found this:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23430/x-lossless-decoder

Or is there better? Or am I being paranoid? I was thinking of ripping in third party software, such as x-lossless, and dropping the files into iTunes?

If I rip in itunes AIFF, am I chained to itunes forever? If so, what's the way around this?

Many questions that 10 hours on the net have not answered. Many thanks and best regards, Lee

I'd say XLD and MAX are the best rippers for the Mac :^

Ripping to AIFF is absolutely fine. The whole point of all the lossless codecs is you can transcode between them with no loss of quality. So if for some reason you want to change you can use batch based tools to do so. If you are sticking with the MAc, I would personally rip to ALAC, it's half the size of AIFF, the same quality and will cost you a lot less £ in disk space.

So rip cd's with XLD for more accurate rip quality and then drag and drop into ITUNES?

This would leave me with 2 copies, just what I want.

EDIT: having spent a good few hours trying to work out what all the options are and trying to get XLD to work correctly, I have decided that XLD is not for me. As I can see it, XLD checks a database to see if the cd has been ripped properly, leaving you to source a better copy if your original is screwed. If your original is screwed, you liked it like that in the first place. Also, I can only get XLD to save tracks from different albums in one long list, not what I need for archive. Looks like its iTunes for me.

Good luck if you decide to use XLD. For some it could be useful. Not for me.

EDIT2: This helps to tell you how to set preferences to organise files properly.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/XLD-Preferences

This tells you how to import XLD files automatically into iTunes