• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
opusover21

Guide to Using a Mac Mini for Audio

54 posts in this topic

meninblack wrote:

LOL, some people like to browse their music collection by sorting through shelves, racks or piles of records and CDs.

Others like to do it by prodding at a spazzy little plastic phone. :D

If you are spazzy-little-phone-kiddy, the mac mini is your friend. :D:P

lol grow up MIBs and I'll forgive your ignorance... it's not a bloody phone not alone for spazzy's...i think I've heard the expression but I think it was before my time as a 'kiddy'' to be honest

This thread is trying to provide anyone of interest some basic guidance so as much as the banta appeals to discuss how a plastic box witjh an Apple on the top sounds identical to that expensive transport...another time and place

:zzzz:

I've just changed to a mac mini from a rather good CD player and to be fair it has all worked rather well. The sound quality is just as good, the convenience is shockingly better than messing around with little plastic disks and at this point I see CD as antiquated and irrelevant. As for being 'spazzy', that comment can only come from someone who has not experienced the itouch as a remote.

I like the convenience of having either or, quite often I'll just chuck a CD in I'll really like and listen to it all the way through, or I'll switch to the optical input and chuck airtunes on and stack up a playlist (usually when I've had a few beers). Both sound great. There shouldn't be any reason to hate on new technology and the convenience it brings - especially when it really doesn't sound any different using lossless. Its just people stuck in their ways or being snobby sometimes I feel.

Nice thread stuart :^

Any folks wanting to argue about MAc vs CD etc. please start another thread as I don't want to have to delete lots of pointless arguing on this thread.

Can I ask a serious question - how does this work as a server as I need a replacement for my NAS drive that feeds 3 squeezeboxes - can the Mac Mini do this (I don't even know if a MAC and a PC canreside on the same network so go easy folks:nuts:).

gsrai wrote:

Nice thread stuart :^

Any folks wanting to argue about MAc vs CD etc. please start another thread as I don't want to have to delete lots of pointless arguing on this thread.

Can I ask a serious question - how does this work as a server as I need a replacement for my NAS drive that feeds 3 squeezeboxes - can the Mac Mini do this (I don't even know if a MAC and a PC canreside on the same network so go easy folks:nuts:).

Yes quite straightforward Gobind. Just install SBS on your Mac Mini. If you are retaining your NAS just to hold the files, then you just point the music path in SBS settings to the network attached storage boxes. Just pm me if you need any specific instructions.

opusover21 wrote:

hifinutt wrote:
thick question but isn`t a laptop as quiet and has a built in screen mouse etc, whats the advantage of a mac mini over a laptop.

If you dont want a "PC" in your listening room with cables, fans and all that...a silent nice little box..with a brilliant interface..see pic...

how many songs are stored on the mini-mac? assume all ripped in lossless?

Picard wrote:

opusover21 wrote:
hifinutt wrote:
thick question but isn`t a laptop as quiet and has a built in screen mouse etc, whats the advantage of a mac mini over a laptop.

If you dont want a "PC" in your listening room with cables, fans and all that...a silent nice little box..with a brilliant interface..see pic...

how many songs are stored on the mini-mac? assume all ripped in lossless?

Apple lossless or AIFF is fine...I dont hold anything on the mac itself all external....the base macs start at 80gb HD space but for most people an external device/back-up is a must...

thanks for all the replies, one thing i do enjoy about cd`s is reading the cover while i am listening and the various words , if any , which maybe is not possible on this system ???

hifinutt wrote:

thanks for all the replies, one thing i do enjoy about cd`s is reading the cover while i am listening and the various words , if any , which maybe is not possible on this system ???

Err you can have a good look at the picture..read it while you rip in my advise before they go in the loft...lol

So. I have a quetsion regarding an external hard drive to my Mac Mini

The drive I am currently using (A Seagate 750GB) doesn't spin down / standby when nothing is playing, so it keeps on running through periods of inactivity, increasingly with an annoying whir.

Is this an issue with the MAC - i.e. that I won't be able to find a HDD which chills the f*** out once in a while?

Or do most HDD's have the ability to take a breath and put themselevs into standby, and I have just got a retarded example?

Craig - I dont know the specific drive but guess its a 3.5" type rather than a 2.5"?...I think its that specific drive...its certainly needs a bit more consideration than just cost and capacity...there are some quite big differences between them for what seems such a simple device what with the actual drives themselves, cooling fans which are to be avoided like the plague.........I read (sad I know) and tried a few...the WD drives I can honestly say are whisper quiet and never had a problem...the seagate 2.5 drives are now 750GB for decent money in theory should be quieter...I've got a 2.5" 500GB drive and its fine......all this assuming its in the listening area...?

Craig wrote:

So. I have a quetsion regarding an external hard drive to my Mac Mini

The drive I am currently using (A Seagate 750GB) doesn't spin down / standby when nothing is playing, so it keeps on running through periods of inactivity, increasingly with an annoying whir.

Is this an issue with the MAC - i.e. that I won't be able to find a HDD which chills the f*** out once in a while?

Or do most HDD's have the ability to take a breath and put themselevs into standby, and I have just got a retarded example?

If the drive won't spin down, it usually means there is a process or program accessing it somewhere. What happens when the Mini is in Sleep mode?

Thanks for the excellent write up.

My headless Mac Mini running Snow Leopard doesn't require a permanent mouse connection. It restarts fine without any peripherals connected. It also manages to wake from sleep via wi-fi from an iTouch or screen share from a MacBook. I was always told WOL (Wake on Lan) was impossible over wi-fi!!