Followers 0
Jezzer

Can't live with a cheap amp!

126 posts in this topic

Admin

Jezzer already had a bash with tact

Admin

Unico-DM.jpg

950 second hand with 150 watts a side . Second hand pre and you are away my old son. Its bridgeable to.:cool:

Jezzer, I'm just curious, what's the older HK6550 like and was I right not to get one? You said it was built well but how does it perform?

I had a feeling it would be difficult to accept a narrower dynamic range after the Krell.

Jezzer mate - just as soon as I've designed and built it, you're going to be the first patient to treated in my "Slap Yourself Silly Machine" - about 3 days in there should see you right. :clout:

Jezzer wrote:

I regret selling the Krell KAV400xi! :(

There are a couple of used examples floating around so I know if I get too desperate I can get another. :green:

However, before I go splashing out the best part of 1.5k on an amp, I'm wondering what alternatives are available - preferably for much less....

It needs to have good bass!

Yep. I am the astrologer extraordinaire on here with the best crystal balls!:oj:

Someone's running around in circles again.:peace:

Good luck with the rehab.;)

SS

I just new I would have the piss ripped outta me! :P

The old adage along the lines of 'you don't miss it until it's gone' rings so true at this moment in time.

I might just settle for a Nait5i. Has good drive, partners well with Dynaudio's and isn't going to break the bank.

TIU, the Harman HK6550 is a very impressive amp for 150 squid. It's a classic with a fast andpunchy sound - perhaps lacks refinement - but anything I use now is a big step down from the Krell.

Jezzer wrote:

...I might just settle for a Nait5i. Has good drive, partners well with Dynaudio's and isn't going to break the bank...

Woah! Slow-down, take a deep breath, and think: you've just been round that merry-go-round, what's the point of doing it again? - you'll just follow the self-same route, but this time saddled with a mortgage (listen to one who knows).

You can't AFFORD to be picky about aesthetics and badges, you need to look to Frank and Biccy for examples - they do their research, and ain't afraid to try the wierd and wonderful that the more superficial of us shy away from. Having heard some of their gear - bought for far less than many of our systems (mine inc.) - it outperforms much of it.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it....

OK. That's it. I get paid at the end of the month. Expecting a bonus too. Will be interesting to see how much of a bonus. Also got someone to buy the Harman Kardon Stereo Legend pack for what I paid for it (400 squids).

If I buy the (black) Krell then I lose a month's savings but could get a lifetime's enjoyment. I think I ought to wait and see how much I have to spare first.

Spending 1,400 on an amp is different to spending 500 on an amp, obviously.

Am i hearing right, did you just sell an amp (in order to down-grade) and are now considering buying the amp you sold?

Why not look at something different, something new and exciting, something like one of the amps out of the Sonneteer range. I know Adam really likes these amps and the Campion (i think it's the Campion) certainly drives the Neat Elite SEs very nicely. Not sure what they'd sound like with the Dynaudios, but the amps are reasonably priced and sound very good indeed.

Yes, you read right. But sometimes you live and learn (I suppose).

I can live with downgrading the speakers and cd player but the Krell, to my ears, is a bit special.

Jezzer wrote:

Yes, you read right. But sometimes you live and learn (I suppose).

I can live with downgrading the speakers and cd player but the Krell, to my ears, is a bit special.

Problem is Jezza the Krell could really expose the cd player.