Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sastusbulbas

Computer Audio. Solid state drives sound better? HOW!

55 posts in this topic

Computer Audio. How can a Solid state hard drive sound better than a normal hard drive?

Its a drive, it has it's data read, now Blue Ray movies can play back perfectly fine from a WD green or such 1.5tb drive with a 5400rpm spin speed, so how can a solid state drive improve audio?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Sastusbulbas

Sorry if I'm missing something but is this your experience/view or someone else's?

I would say it makes no difference but I have not compared so willing to be proved wrong.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it can, data is data, and these days, audio data is of a trivial data rate, so whether the source is a hard-drive, a SS drive, or even carrots ina tub, as long as they're coming out fast enough and are buffered so they come out at the same(ish) time, the results will be the same.

S.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sastusbulbas wrote:

Computer Audio. How can a Solid state hard drive sound better than a normal hard drive?

Its a drive, it has it's data read, now Blue Ray movies can play back perfectly fine from a WD green or such 1.5tb drive with a 5400rpm spin speed, so how can a solid state drive improve audio?

The ONLY thing I can think of, is the absence of fans from some pcs (nothing to do with drives though)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have read a thread on aother forum, they are all happy with SSD drives making teh music sound more transparent etc, IE it seems to be improving teh audio playback quality?

I myself cannot see how, after all Blue Ray playback is probably about teh most demanding media to replay, and it can be done from a remote 5200 rpm 1.5tb drive at full capacity?

I understand its a quieter drive than a mechanical, is it another case of foo?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's in a system connected directly to the DAC, there is potentially less RFI produced by an SSD. If it's in a streaming system, it's irrelevant. That's all.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mark Hi, I read that somewhere, Matan Arrazi ,who makes the server magico use, measured some 'noise' in an HD,whether it makes any difference to SQ I can't say , they are quick and quiet though.

Keith.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Purite Audio wrote:

Mark Hi, I read that somewhere, Matan Arrazi ,who makes the server magico use, measured some 'noise' in an HD,whether it makes any difference to SQ I can't say , they are quick and quiet though.

Keith.

Yeah, isn't that pretty much what I said? :?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

browellm wrote:

Purite Audio wrote:
Mark Hi, I read that somewhere, Matan Arrazi ,who makes the server magico use, measured some 'noise' in an HD,whether it makes any difference to SQ I can't say , they are quick and quiet though.

Keith.

Yeah, isn't that pretty much what I said? :?

I was pretty much agreeing with you.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The data stored will be the same, however solid state drives are much faster to retrieve data and write data, so possibly less jitter, but this is a long shot. Generally, they are used in laptops and they have advantages like reduced power consumption (could bea factor if a laptop is used off battery power) and are much quieter and have less EMF (no magnets and motor like disk drives), which could also be an effect. Disk drivesalso to have different buffering chips too.

I have a solid state drive Dell E4200 laptop and disk based Dell D630 laptop and I can't tell any difference into a USB DAC (Fubar/Supplier) on Windows XP Pro using Anatek A50R/Spica Angelus.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It Cost How Much!?! wrote:

The data stored will be the same, however solid state drives are much faster to retrieve data and write data, so possibly less jitter, but this is a long shot. Generally, they are used in laptops and they have advantages like reduced power consumption (could bea factor if a laptop is used off battery power) and are much quieter and have less EMF (no magnets and motor like disk drives), which could also be an effect. Disk drivesalso to have different buffering chips too.

I have a solid state drive Dell E4200 laptop and disk based Dell D630 laptop and I can't tell any difference into a USB DAC (Fubar/Supplier) on Windows XP Pro using Anatek A50R/Spica Angelus.

No. Absolutely, definitely, conclusively not. Jitter is not introduced into a system by hard drives. That's just not how it works.

The read performance of hard-drives is waaaay higher than any constraints around serving up audio data, including 1.8" laptop drives with spindle speeds of 4200rpm.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

browellm wrote:

It Cost How Much!?! wrote:
The data stored will be the same, however solid state drives are much faster to retrieve data and write data, so possibly less jitter, but this is a long shot. Generally, they are used in laptops and they have advantages like reduced power consumption (could bea factor if a laptop is used off battery power) and are much quieter and have less EMF (no magnets and motor like disk drives), which could also be an effect. Disk drivesalso to have different buffering chips too.

I have a solid state drive Dell E4200 laptop and disk based Dell D630 laptop and I can't tell any difference into a USB DAC (Fubar/Supplier) on Windows XP Pro using Anatek A50R/Spica Angelus.

No. Absolutely, definitely, conclusively not. Jitter is not introduced into a system by hard drives. That's just not how it works.

The read performance of hard-drives is waaaay higher than any constraints around serving up audio data, including 1.8" laptop drives with spindle speeds of 4200rpm.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of what your saying, you have to remember that there is a fairly large gap between actual performance and spec's in IT equipment, only under optimum conditions (i.e. the makers test labs) are these actually achieved.

You also have a O/S on your PC, mostly Windows I suspect, which, especially if it's Vista Premium, screw up massively PC hardware performance (which is what we are talking about here). XP Pro is generally less screwed up along with MAC O/S. Hardware performance is measured at Bios level and not user interface level.

Now in most conditions, I agree the performance of any hard drive made in the last 4 years should be more than adiquate to stream audio, which in data transfer terms is piddlingly small data traffic. However, what I have put forward are my thoughts as to why there could be differences, I have not measured or lab tested it.

Windows Vista does a lot behind the scenes and this sometimes hits the hard drive fairly hard, so maybe this may be an issue too? I have experienced drop outs on sound and video when using Windows ferkin O/S is farting about doing it's Windows bloatwear stuff.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.