Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tarzan

Ortofon M20 FL Super cartridge

4 posts in this topic

Evening all, trying to get feedback on this cart, what does it sound like, any good? Maybe to go in a stock Techy SL1200 MK2, or maybe an SME V which will feed a Cambridge Audio 640P phono stage, any compatability issues ta!:)

I have one of these in my cupboard, having used it on my old Thorens TD166MkII about 20 years ago. It was a nice sounding, full bodied cart with a decent fine line stylus which extracted lots of detail. There was an eliptical tipped version, the M20E as well.

It should work very well on the SL1200, or indeed the SME though this arm would warrant a much better cartridge to be fair. No compatibility issues as far as I can remember!

Ever since Tarzan bought up this topic it's been at the back of my mind to try out the old M20Fl Super again. I finally dug it out tonight and checked the stylus - it is actually in much better shape than I thought, in fact it is barely worn at all. I had originally thought that I had used the cart for about 2 years but thinking about it, it cant have been more than 1 - I went through a phase of changing carts quite often back then (about 25 years ago!)

Anyway, I fitted it and have been playing records into the small hours as you can see by the posting time. The Ortofon has much more detail than my Goldring Elektro 2 MC, probably due to the nicer stylus profile. It is also quieter on surface noise. There is more bass and the treble is a little more recessed but is beautifully controlled and the detail increase makes for an involving listen. I think the old girl might be on there for a while!

m20fl-1.jpg

They're Danish & hence don't mind a good funky thrashing . . .

Enjoy :- to clean, just wipe the cantilever with your finger [back - to - front]

this wipes the crap off & lets you know that the diamond bit hasn't fallen off . . .

chuz, H xx