Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Umberto

What do you look for in a speaker?

82 posts in this topic

Having had my new speakers for a couple of weeks now, was wondering what other people look for when they buy speakers?

I remember when i first started auditioning speakers about a year and a half ago. My rig at the timeincluded of an old pair of Ruark Templars. They were pleasant-enough sounding speakers but were lacking in treble extension. I went to audition some Dynaudio's, beginning with the 52se. Thought this sounded alright but not a huge improvement over my Ruarks. I then listened to the 62s and thought they sounded better, probably because of their added bass, so i ended up buying them.

When i got them home howerver, things were not quite right and their bass would "bloat" in my room, plus the treble was still slightly muted. I was reluctant to admit defeat as they were modern speakers so they must sound better, right? Big mistake.

After a change of amp and CD player, things were still not going well so i decided to sell them and thats when i bought my Skibos (after hearing them at a bakeoff). The Skibos were a big improvemnet in the midrange department and worked far better in my room. I had the Skibos for about 3 months and in this time i reckon was the "defining moment"that would influencemy speaker choice in the future.Ithen progressed on to the stiletto 6s.

With my purchase of the expression V6s, I reckon they have shown what a speaker can and should be capable of.

So what doyou look for ina speaker. Is it goodbass and treble extension, a nice clean midrange, do you want to be able to hear every small nuaunce or perhaps a tangible sense of having the performers in the room with you?

That's a good question.

I like dynamics, a dynamic speaker over any other.. I also dig a lighter 'airy' presentation. Not too bothered about big bass..

Dislike designs that curtailed HF to be more warm and musical (castle for example) I find this irritating and 'closed in'.. irks me no end.

My current pair of speakers is the best I've heard in my room. .presses all my buttons - had troubles getting them (bit bashed in) but getting a brand new pair soon... Reason I bought them was part of my fondness for the sound of my parent's old AR18s .. i love the effortless sound of the simple crossover - my speakers are crossoverless lowther-derivitives.. doubt i'll go back!

I like for the speaker manufacturer to not email me with a whinging complaint every time he gets a bad review for making speakers no one on this forum likes.

I like for a speaker manufacturer to put all of their efforts into improving the sound of the speaker, and then market it efficiently and withoput harrassing the press every five minutes.

hifiwigwam wrote:

I like for the speaker manufacturer to not email me with a whinging complaint every time he gets a bad review for making speakers no one on this forum likes.

I like for a speaker manufacturer to put all of their efforts into improving the sound of the speaker, and then market it efficiently and withoput harrassing the press every five minutes.

:^

Either they are biggish-cheap-let your stuff sound fine or they are small-affordable-let your stuff sound fine even if LF is not going to give you the shits.

It is nice if they last for ever/do not burst/go as loud as you really really want with great not overpriced amp-system.

It is essential that they do not pose a risk to anyone/anything if e.g. leapt upon by children/pets etc.

Very few 'audio buffoons' have yet confessed to discovering that £39 nice-looking pair of Argos etc slim floorstanders (fat or solid floor has advantages)is as good as snotty hifi brand at 20-50 times price.

If loudspeaker-system is e.g. 1 metre-2 metres high I do prefer it if loudspeakers are more than '2cm 'wide (wide enought ot accommodate at least 1 12" woofer is a starting-point).

I can understand purchaser-user-listener choosing brown real wood-finish, although I tend to prefer any sort of black, like obelisk in '2001 A Space Odyssey' film.

Chumpy wrote:

Very few 'audio buffoons' have yet confessed to discovering that £39 nice-looking pair of Argos etc slim floorstanders (fat or solid floor has advantages)is as good as snotty hifi brand at 20-50 times price.

:roll: :lmao: :goodone:

hifiwigwam wrote:

:^If the speaker in question was half as good as he states we'd all be selling ours to buy them - so far i've not seen any takers - i wonder why? :lwink:

I like a speaker that sounds natural (to me)

Has to be able to make a fair fist of all music types

One that reproduces voices and has good top to bottom cohesion

No over projection on the top end and certainly no detached sound

I like a fair amount of transparency but it also needs to have punchy bass

Main criteria though is that it works in your room with your electronics

Curt

Besides other attributes, a speaker should also be able to scare the bejaysus out of you!