Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
opusover21

Setting up Speakers - Tape Measure or SPL Meter?

19 posts in this topic

SergeAuckland wrote:

"Erm, no! If your ears tell you something different than the measurements tell you, then check your measurements, and especially your methodology.

By the way, the Radio Shack/Tandy SPL meter is actually very good and quite accurate."

No argument from me, however since most people don't have access to sophisticated measurement equipment and many DIY types don't really know how to use what they do have I think it is better for them to trust their ears than to get distracted by their poor measurements.

I concur about the Rat Shack meter... within it's range it is surprisingly accurate.

Widget

opusover21 wrote:

Managed to get a SPL App for the iPod Touch...seems to work pretty well..Just wondered I've never set speakers up using a SPL but always measure all distance to the walls to within a few mm as possible...

Does the current version of the Touch have a microphone then?

Uncle Ants wrote:

opusover21 wrote:
Managed to get a SPL App for the iPod Touch...seems to work pretty well..Just wondered I've never set speakers up using a SPL but always measure all distance to the walls to within a few mm as possible...

Does the current version of the Touch have a microphone then?

No but a headset type mic or mini jack works fine...I tried some test tunes and its ok but not accurate enough to decide either way...so tape as usual me thinks