Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jt269

DPA "The Little Bit Three" DAC

4 posts in this topic

DPA "The Little Bit Three" DAC

Just wondering if anyone has heard this dac and if it is any good.

Its on ebay at the moment and i am considering bidding for it, I can find only sparse information on google.

Cheers

James

I used to have one of those. Not a bad little DAC at all. I seem to recall it was around £350 or so and it would be 12-15 years old, I would have thought.

In terms of performance, it was quite well regarded. DPA are well thought of, but now long gone. I think there were reliability issues, but my memory on this is hazy. I think there are still people around who may be able to service these, but some parts I think may no longer be available.

My personal opinion is that a MF V-DAC would easily outperform it and they're currently £129, which is about the price the DPA will sell for. Plus you'd have a new product with warranty etc.

I've tried most of the current crop of budget DACs and the V-DAC is very impressive, especially so given its price. However, I've just taken delivery of the new Caiman and even straight out of the box it is clearly a better performer. More money though, but not massively more (around £240 delivered).

B*******d products are a bit of a no no around these parts, but I will post my thoughts on the Caiman once I've listened to it at greater length. I've no relationship with the manufacturer at all, and I do think others may be interested in my thoughts on how the budget DACs compare, based on experience rather than hype.

DDL wrote:

simon g wrote:
DPA are well thought of, but now long gone.

They seem to have resurrected themselves, but it seems no DACs yet:

http://www.deltecprecisionaudio.com/home

That's very interesting ~ thanks.

Looks like they've gone 'high end'. The products have a very similar look to the previous products. They do look very good. But they're in serious price territory there for a pre/power set up ~ some very good competition at that level.

I wish them well.