• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mister R

Krystal Power chords

18 posts in this topic

Morning!

I have been testing one of Frank's power cables over the last few days with some interesting results. He kindly sent me a Stratos cable which, I believe sits below his top of the range Jupiter cable but above the Mercury. My system is currently wired up through standard kettle leads that Cyrus provide when you buy a component. The only specialist cable is an Istotek power cable on my Pre-X.

I am now very happy with my system and feel I want to get the very best from it in terms of bass, treble and overall soundstaging, but know that tweaks are going to be subtle improvements if anything.

First up, I hooked the Stratos onto my Cd player and sat back with a coffee. After about 5 minutes it was clear that the bass was tighter through the Dyn's and there was more air and life around the music with vocals rolling off slightly more. Yello's Stella album was on and my foot was tapping well. Pleased with the subtle improvements all round.

Next I moved the Stratos onto the Pre-X and this is where I feel the biggest improvement came. If anything with the cable on the Cd player there was a hint of clinicalness and dryness to the sound, but on the Pre Amp the sound was much more rounded with a much more natural texture. Timing is absolutely spot on using this cable, the bass is rock solid as before there was a sense that the Mono'd Smarts were doing a good job controlling the Dyn's but there was a touch of flabbiness to the bass. Not now.:DI was considering buying a Nordost Shiva as the performance enhancement when I tried 4 of those on my set up was a step forward indeed. However, I seem to be getting the same results from the Stratos at a third of the cost so think I may stick with this one. Going to see if I can get hold of a Shiva at the weekend to do a back to back comparison.

So I guess all good so far! I can only recommend you try these and see what you think. It's working for sure on Mr R's rig! Believe the Jupiter is quite something...Technobear? Your thoughts?

Cheers,

Iain

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I own 2 Jupiters - you've gotta hear the improvements they bring to believe it.

I think there were a few impressed wigwammers at the Bake-off last weekend.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, I was impressed by the Jupiter on the ATC. Tighter, deeper, more powerful bass, cleaner treble - better separation to cymbols and the like, more air and space around instruments - this in comparison to mymark 1Omiga Audio cables (the Coherent range has moved on since I bought these so don't dismiss them - they have been much improved in the meantime).

The effect of the Stratos on the CD player was also a step in the right direction.

I was also impressed with the resolution and clean-ness (lack of smearing) of the Krystal Stirling 2 interconnect. It clearly beat my DIY Shark interconnect andthe Coherent interconnect brought along by supercapman. I could hear things with the Stirling 2 that were masked or smeared by the other two. For example, in one track there was a snare drum playing to one side of the stage. With the Stirling 2 I could distinctly hear the impact of the stick on the drum skin and then the 'boing' resonance from within the drum. The other two cables smeared this into a single sound that was much less realistic.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgot about that adaptor :oops:

Further testing of mains tweaks is in the pipeline. Expect a review soon.

For now, I have changed the way mains reaches my system. I figured if I can't plug the Omiga mains cables straight into the wall (because they won't reach) then the next best thing is to bring the ring main to the stereo. To this end, I have made an extension lead out of two lengths of 2.5mm Twin&Earth twisted together. This is the same stuff as the ring main is wired with. I've changed the wall socket to an unswitched one and used an MK tough plug as it was the only plug I could find quickly that would accept two 2.5mm solid cores :D At the other end is the cryo'd american twin socket that was supplied with my Omiga cables, mounted in a standard surface box. The Omiga cables then plug into this.

Audible effects? Well it's hard to be very specific when you can't do AB tests but I can say that the bass is definitely more powerful. Woofer excursion is greater and also more forceful to the point that I have had to back off the volume control on most of my favourite discs. Bass definition remains good. Walking bass lines are easy to follow even when they are quite quiet in the mix. The boogie factor is all present and correct too.

Simple mixes sound great. Voices or instruments in isolation or even a few together sound good. Busy mixes are still getting a bit smeared in the upper mid although cymbols sound OK. I'm going to change the interconnect which will help. Next week I will be experimenting with various mains tweaks to see if they also help. If they don't then I'll look at upgrading crossover components in the Dyns.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

technobear wrote:

Forgot about that adaptor :oops:

Further testing of mains tweaks is in the pipeline. Expect a review soon.

For now, I have changed the way mains reaches my system. I figured if I can't plug the Omiga mains cables straight into the wall (because they won't reach) then the next best thing is to bring the ring main to the stereo. To this end, I have made an extension lead out of two lengths of 2.5mm Twin&Earth twisted together. This is the same stuff as the ring main is wired with. I've changed the wall socket to an unswitched one and used an MK tough plug as it was the only plug I could find quickly that would accept two 2.5mm solid cores :D At the other end is the cryo'd american twin socket that was supplied with my Omiga cables, mounted in a standard surface box. The Omiga cables then plug into this.

Audible effects? Well it's hard to be very specific when you can't do AB tests but I can say that the bass is definitely more powerful. Woofer excursion is greater and also more forceful to the point that I have had to back off the volume control on most of my favourite discs. Bass definition remains good. Walking bass lines are easy to follow even when they are quite quiet in the mix. The boogie factor is all present and correct too.

Simple mixes sound great. Voices or instruments in isolation or even a few together sound good. Busy mixes are still getting a bit smeared in the upper mid although cymbols sound OK. I'm going to change the interconnect which will help. Next week I will be experimenting with various mains tweaks to see if they also help. If they don't then I'll look at upgrading crossover components in the Dyns.

sounds like you've got too much time on you're hands Chris:P:P

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Biscuit wrote:

I'm getting a Mk.3 Mr C cable soon :nerves:when I see Papa's X-03LE we can do a direct comparison with the Jupiter :geek:

Sounds like a plan Russ. When are you coming over?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bommer wrote:

sounds like you've got too much time on you're hands Chris:P:P

I currently have an almost unlimited supply of time. If only I had a similarly unlimited supply of money I would be a very happy man :D

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Papa Lazarou wrote:

Biscuit wrote:
I'm getting a Mk.3 Mr C cable soon :nerves:when I see Papa's X-03LE we can do a direct comparison with the Jupiter :geek:

Sounds like a plan Russ. When are you coming over?

not sure, I'm still stuck for transport, but might hop on the X5 bus from Cambridge one weekend when its convenient for you

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mister R wrote:

Morning!

I have been testing one of Frank's power cables over the last few days with some interesting results. He kindly sent me a Stratos cable which, I believe sits below his top of the range Jupiter cable but above the Mercury. My system is currently wired up through standard kettle leads that Cyrus provide when you buy a component. The only specialist cable is an Istotek power cable on my Pre-X.

I am now very happy with my system and feel I want to get the very best from it in terms of bass, treble and overall soundstaging, but know that tweaks are going to be subtle improvements if anything.

First up, I hooked the Stratos onto my Cd player and sat back with a coffee. After about 5 minutes it was clear that the bass was tighter through the Dyn's and there was more air and life around the music with vocals rolling off slightly more. Yello's Stella album was on and my foot was tapping well. Pleased with the subtle improvements all round.

Next I moved the Stratos onto the Pre-X and this is where I feel the biggest improvement came. If anything with the cable on the Cd player there was a hint of clinicalness and dryness to the sound, but on the Pre Amp the sound was much more rounded with a much more natural texture. Timing is absolutely spot on using this cable, the bass is rock solid as before there was a sense that the Mono'd Smarts were doing a good job controlling the Dyn's but there was a touch of flabbiness to the bass. Not now.:DI was considering buying a Nordost Shiva as the performance enhancement when I tried 4 of those on my set up was a step forward indeed. However, I seem to be getting the same results from the Stratos at a third of the cost so think I may stick with this one. Going to see if I can get hold of a Shiva at the weekend to do a back to back comparison.

So I guess all good so far! I can only recommend you try these and see what you think. It's working for sure on Mr R's rig! Believe the Jupiter is quite something...Technobear? Your thoughts?

Cheers,

Iain

You can do a lot better for your money, Mr "C" leads is worth buying as are the new ones from Russ Andrews

Also not a good looker but nice is the new Chord lead

also worth testing is a new cable made to UK specs and I think if its on sale now in the UK.............. Ruark will be selling them is mains leads by XLO at about £90

this company makes them

http://www.xloelectric.com/programs/productCategory.php

this company will supply shops

http://www.ruark.co.uk/ruark/contact.htm

the xlo I had was demo stock but supplied uk plugs, very nice

Eupan at £48 are good value but hard to use if little space behind your units

http://www.audusa.com/power.htm

I think at £225 Tonys classic power is hard to beat, its just more than I would spend :cool::cool: for some reason £130 is about the most I will spend and with space behind my unit Eupan at £48 each is an easy choice

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Davewhityetagain wrote:

for some reason £130 is about the most I will spend

for some reason £1.30 is about the most I will spend Dave. :shock::P

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cjr wrote:

Davewhityetagain wrote:
for some reason £130 is about the most I will spend

for some reason £1.30 is about the most I will spend Dave. :shock::P

No problem with that, everyone should have a budget, based not just on what they can spend but a value based on the return that item will give in giving a better sound

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mister R wrote:

He kindly sent me a Stratos cable which, I believe sits below his top of the range Jupiter cable but above the Mercury.

Mercury is presumably the bottom of the range? Being the nearest planet to the sun? Jupiter, naturally, will be better.

I wonder if Effem will one day dare to offer the market-place his Uranus?

We can but wonder...

:Not Sure:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.