Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tim F

Volume pot

21 posts in this topic

I'm looking at improving on my Alps Blue Pots probably for a stepped pots. Any recommendations I'll need two mono ones. I suppose I'd be looking to spend around £50 on each one but will up this if it'll make much difference.

Cheers, Tim

Well for about 16p you could try the shunt mod to your existing alps' first...

http://www.wduk.worldomain.net/forum/showthread.php?t=198

Yeah Tony, it's what I'm using in my WD pre3 (47k alps-47k shunt res.). I originally tried it because the standard 47k pot was a bit too twitchy at low volumes- the pre3 has quite a lot of gain. As well as fixing the twitchyness, it does give more clarity and loses pretty much all of the alps' signature sound.

Since tweaking my phonostage (which has given that a little more gain), I could probably do with increasing the shunt res. a little more, but it's nowhere near bad enough to make me actually get of my arse and try that, yet=)

For anyone interested, the pseudoshunt that I linked to came about from a series of posts on the old, now long gone WAD forum. I wasnt a party to it, but quite a few folk tried a lot of variations, and different pots. The version I linked to was the final layout that most seemed to like best.

I'll second the shunt Mod option. You can use a bit of vero-board over the teminals of the Alps pot to mount the resistors on. I use a 50K Alps Blue Dual Log pot with a 47k shunt resistor (Metal film) in my passive attenuator. I makes a huge difference to the sound compared to the signal going through the Alps pot (without the shunt). It sounds cleaner and more detailed with the shunt in place. And best of all it costs less than 20p:^.

Chris.

cleaner sounds good ... more detail depends what you mean. If it means bright then I'll not be so keen. Maybe the thing for me to do would be to buy a an alps blue and cheap maplins box and make a simple passive (that's what the Beat B-100 is anyway the way I'm using it - bit of a waste really but it's got a good MM phonostage for arm 2 and the missus likes the way it looks) rather than butcher my B100 to find out. It certainly sounds interesting though and probably within even my limited soldering skills.

The thing is I've used it and preferred it over any number of active pres, resistor ladder passives and one of those MF TVCs which I didn't like at all (that was into the Yams which are now Diks funnily enough) - it was very bright to these ears. It could be I like the signature of an Alps blue :) ... in which case removing it might not be the best move.

But anyway I digress. It's not my thread.

zebra100 wrote:

I've have never found the Alps bright with my Gainclone, just bags of detail.  Even with electronic music the sound is well balanced and never bright.

The shunt modded alps you mean?

Pieter Treurniet of Tribute makes these

http://www.tribute-audio.nl/

(follow the link to products/signal/inductive volume control)

They are pretty classy but probably way over your £50.00 each budget

Uncle Ants wrote:

zebra100 wrote:
I've have never found the Alps bright with my Gainclone, just bags of detail. Even with electronic music the sound is well balanced and never bright.

The shunt modded alps you mean?

Yes, sorry - should have specified.

zebra100 wrote:

Yes, sorry - should have specified.

Thanks, yes. Just wanted to be sure. Now, given that probably 99% of my home listening has been via an un modded alps blue for the past 9 years, it's what I'm used to. If the mod effectively removes the signature of the pot, how would you describe the signature of the alps blue? - which I know is asking the same question in reverse, but you know what I mean.