In the wake of restoring approx 250,000 garbled posts (having remote URL images) since forum migration, rebuilding of forum content followed by search indexing is currently under process. During this process (which may take 1-2 days to complete), the search function may not work properly. We apologize for the inconvenience. Alternatively, you may use Google search; for eg: amplifier site:hifiwigwam.com/forum/

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Martha's dad

Exposure amps and speaker cables

21 posts in this topic

I am about to pick up an old Exposure Super VIII as a spare power amp. Exposure are one of the few cheap (S/H) power amps that are solid state that I rather like. The problem is I use Goertz speaker cable - same as Townshend isolda.

I checked with Exposure as to whether this was ok and i received a definite DO NOT USE GOERTZ reply as they could make the amp unstable and possibly blow it up! :shock:

RIGHT - we dont want to do that do we. And I dont want to spend much on another set of speaker cables for a standby amp. Would ordinary QED do - any ideas - this all sounds disconcerting but that is what Tony at Exposure said. I know exposure always said that only exposure speaker cable should be used (as in the words of mandy Rice-Davise they would say that wouldn't they)) however. . . . .

This may be a Pink Fish forum query as i think there are exposure owners over there but any advice here?

Thanks as ever.

NVA amps have similar problems, I think.

NVA make excellent cables for their own amps - the LS5 is a real corker. :^

But a pair of LS5 cables would be £250 that's more than the amp, and as i said this is a backup amp in the event of an emergency! Would QED or something similarly affordable do?

Ah well, if you need a loooong pair of cables - pop down to B&Q and get some solid core mains flex. Really. It's the twisty multi-strand thing that upsets NVA amps, and probably Exposure, too.

What do you need a spare amp for anyway? ... the Viva startin' to smoke & sputter? ;-)

Anyways, you might find the LS5 supplants your Goertz stuff - Personally, I never really got on with any of the Goertz cables I have tried.

Just seen some LS2 at £30 - that may do the trick.

Viva starting to sputter - miaoooooow! Handbags at dawn Jerry! :fight:

No - just that I have always had a back up amp just in case (used to have back up wives too) - you wouldn't know about having the odd extra piece of hi-fi around would you, ahem :rofl:

:D

Exposure cable probably best. But any dumbell configuration type stuff should do.

2 conductors separated by a gap of a few mm.

Nain Nac , cable talk , linn.

Or on a budget , that Gale see through stuff they sell at Richer Sounds.

Cheers,

Mark.

Marthas dad wrote:

NO NO NO :nup::shock:

LS2 is crap.

NVA LS1, LS3 or best, LS5 - quite different to LS2. Trust me on this.

Ecosse - 4.45 if the amp has biwire outputs, it is good but not cheap. I used to used Exposure amps, and used QED Profile 4x4 and upgraded to the Ecosse. When I sold the 18 monobloc power amps, the buyer called Exposure and asked them what their recommendation was - Ecosse 4.45 was the recommendation. QED will do very nicely too

JANDL100 wrote:

Marthas dad wrote:

NO NO NO :nup::shock:

LS2 is crap.

NVA LS1, LS3 or best, LS5 - quite different to LS2. Trust me on this.

Ohhhh - ok maybe the see through Richer Sounds stuff then?

Of course i trust you Jerry - I would even trust you to cut my toe nails.:notworthy:

Thanks CJR kind of what i was after - now these wont blow up the amp then?

Beginning to think this spare Exposure idea more trouble than it's worth - but used to have a pair of old Exposure mono blocks and they were impressive. So for a cheap transistor spare have gone back to the idea.

Thanks for all advice so far.

If you perceive differences in cable sound then Van Damn really is :pants:+ :td:. (As Bry-fi so eloquently put it on another thread)

imo etc

But I'll leave you to it now,Kooler King- best o' luck. :)

No - never cared for Van Damme either was thinking QED

Wouldn't plain old reliable QED do Jerry or the see through stuff from Richer Sounds - infact I may never need to use the amp ! - don't want cable wars ! Just had e mail from Exposure - QED is fine they said, so perhaps sorted. . . . maybe . . . perhaps. . . .

Marthas dad wrote:

No - never cared for Van Damme either was thinking QED

Wouldn't plain old reliable QED do Jerry or the see through stuff from Richer Sounds - infact I may never need to use the amp ! - don't want cable wars ! Just had e mail from Exposure - QED is fine they said, so perhaps sorted. . . . maybe . . . perhaps. . . .

Well, OK, seeing as you asked me a direct question I'll come back again. :)

QED? Dunno.I'm sure it will carry the current. I've had the QED Silver Anni. My God. Where I perceive the Van Damn to be boring and to extract all musical interest, the QED SA was shrieky and quite unlistenable.

Honestly, why not just buy some Exposure cable? - must be suited for the job and will give you that full ERC effect (Exposure Retro-Cred)?

OK - personally, I'd go for the NVA, still. I've heard it and I know I like it. What's the point of having a spare amp that you don't enjoy listening to?

IMO, YMMV, GIGFY etc :)