Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tel

Equipment Table - Ideas wanted

24 posts in this topic

not such a bad idea. My valve monoblocks went on small soiked target stands just beside each speaker, with the added advantage that speaker cable runs were very very short and interconnect the long un. It also looks nice, de-clutters your rack, removes huge amounts of heat from beneath other electronics and means you just need a standard jobbie for the rest. I put a 8/10mm glass plate ontop of the targets, cut and bevelled at the local glass merchants whilst I waited. Between the targets and the glass, tiny rubber buttons such as are sold to prevent carpets slipping. Top job.:)

I agree. Each on a thick piece of mdf on the concrete floor. They aren't going to be delicate enough to warrant mollycoddling.

A couple of lumps of MDF is certainly cheap!

And would allow me to look at a more permanent solution at my leisure :)

(Which means it won't ever happen unless forced by other circumstances) ;-)

I could always go all audiophile and put spikes on the mdf!

A real audiophile would be using slabs of carbon fibre laminated with alu honeycomb or such. ;-)

Tel wrote:

ray70 wrote:
Been meaning to ask you this for ages Tel - what amps are you getting?

Bit of a clue here Ray :D

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/view_topic.php?id=32712&forum_id=19

I had never visited the DIY section until i clicked on that link!

ray70 wrote:

Tel wrote:
ray70 wrote:
Been meaning to ask you this for ages Tel - what amps are you getting?

Bit of a clue here Ray :D

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/view_topic.php?id=32712&forum_id=19

I had never visited the DIY section until i clicked on that link!

That's OK, I am only a voyeur, I don't actually do anything :)

Tel wrote:

50kg is a bit of a guess but 25kg each is probably not that far off the mark.

each amp is approx 600 x 400 so the footprint excludes most standard racks which is why I thought of a table.

I still think a standard type thing would be fine, such as this

15d59a6602fd91b4f465ff02630e08cb.jpg

Get two of those, one for each mono, and stick the XO underneath. Then get a full rack for the centre unit, which would go higher so you don't do your back in! If the amps are a full 600mm wide then they would be as wide as the outside of the legs, which looks fine.

These kind of thing tick most of the boxes - good for the weight, spike adjustable, available cheap used.

Under NO circumstances get a cheapo AV unit - I had one, it was fine but one shelf bowed disconcertingly below my dCS kit. Now that's not light, but it's just digital malarkey, not a Coco amp!

AmDismal wrote:

Tel wrote:
50kg is a bit of a guess but 25kg each is probably not that far off the mark.

each amp is approx 600 x 400 so the footprint excludes most standard racks which is why I thought of a table.

I still think a standard type thing would be fine, such as this

15d59a6602fd91b4f465ff02630e08cb.jpg

Get two of those, one for each mono, and stick the XO underneath. Then get a full rack for the centre unit, which would go higher so you don't do your back in! If the amps are a full 600mm wide then they would be as wide as the outside of the legs, which looks fine.

These kind of thing tick most of the boxes - good for the weight, spike adjustable, available cheap used.

Under NO circumstances get a cheapo AV unit - I had one, it was fine but one shelf bowed disconcertingly below my dCS kit. Now that's not light, but it's just digital malarkey, not a Coco amp!

I see where you are coming from Adam but the Atacama unit is the wrong shape and I haven't got room by the speakers, and every one knows the XO boxes should be upright like brief cases ;-). And I'm not investing in long i/c's when I have all that lovely Kondo speaker cable! :)

I know what you mean about A/V cabinets though, Papa's Quadraspire unit bent quite alarmingly when we put Coco's turntable on top of it :shock: