Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tel

Equipment Table - Ideas wanted

24 posts in this topic

What with new amps coming and space for any future bits of kit being non - existant I have been thinking about a table which could hold everything

It would need three shelves, be about 1500mm x 500mm and have adjustable feet.

Bottom shelf would have to take about 50Kg

Anyone know of any manufacturers of such a thing?

Make one?

Choose whichever kitchen work-surface you want for the shelves.

B&Q furniture legs (in a variety of lengths) with adjustable feet - or remove the feet and fit spikes.

Job done for a total cost of £100 or so. And with the flexibility to swap the legs should you swap for higher/lower components in the future.

If you like isolation, make the shelves double thickness and sandwich an inner-tube between.

I have had similar thoughts to Stickman, but actually ended up just buying some used Atacama Equinoxe units. These are normal size (actually there's a lot of width and depth for standard equipment - I can fit both Welborne monos on a top shelf).

These can then be placed side-by-side, with extra height on one side if you, like me, don't like to bend down to change records! That's one of my pet peeves with a lot of racks, and I find the asymmetric look pretty cool.

So those amps - going to be 50kg then?!??

50kg is a bit of a guess but 25kg each is probably not that far off the mark.

each amp is approx 600 x 400 so the footprint excludes most standard racks which is why I thought of a table.

Adjustable feet are a must as I have a not quite level concrete floor and no adjustment in the TT.

Making something is not an option and kitchen work tops are out.

Thanks for the link Phil, I will have a look at that sort of thing.

If I could afford a G8 table Murray I would be buying the Gakuohs to go with it!

(No offence intended Pete!)

I've got an Apollo Mezzo AV Rack. Although standard metal legs and glass shelves, it's double width and very strong.

I have had over 70kgs on the bottom shelf before (currently supporting approx 57 kgs), though I did notice the glass start to bend when I went up to 95kgs, I could have supported it further but have decided to build a new rack when I redocorate the living room (hopefully in a couple of months time)

Tel wrote:

If I could afford a G8 table Murray I would be buying the Gakuohs to go with it!

(No offence intended Pete!)

and the boat to put it all on?

ray70 wrote:

Been meaning to ask you this for ages Tel - what amps are you getting?

Bit of a clue here Ray :D

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/view_topic.php?id=32712&forum_id=19

mighty ant wrote:

Hutter, imported by Phonography but not cheap. New boy to the forum Russell Collinson will make you virtually anything from wood, he advertises on the Dealers Cassifieds. He's a nice chap who does excellent work.

I think I forgot to say cheap!

I am really not into spending loads on stands and furniture for purely cosmetic and dubious acoustic benefits.

I have a concrete floor, as long as I can spike through the carpet to that and adjust the leg height then I am happy. As long as the stand itself doesn't bring anything to the party of course!

Maybe an AV rack table theing is the way to go.

I am planning for the future here really as I can just about accommodate my kit on my existing Quadraspire rack with the amps either side on tiles to keep them off the carpet

If any one knows a good cheap source of 600x400 tiles or stone blocks I would be interested. I have seen some at Fired Earth but cheaper would be better!

mighty ant wrote:

Tel wrote:
ray70 wrote:
Been meaning to ask you this for ages Tel - what amps are you getting?

Bit of a clue here Ray :D

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/view_topic.php?id=32712&forum_id=19

Kondo?

No idea where you got that idea from, apart from the copper chassis maybe,

Kondo don't sell kits!

This is Coco San not Kondo San :D