Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kennyk

Beethoven Symphonies

38 posts in this topic

I'm looking for an outstanding version of Symphony No 7 myself. so I thought I'd canvas some opinions as to which interpretations of each individual symphony are the 'best'.

My favourite two of beethoven's symphonies are 6 & 7. I've yet to find an excellent version of 7. so far Norrington's version of number 6 is perfect for me, but 7 is lacking something for me.

I've got DG Lps of Karajan & BPO absolutely destroying pretty much the whole cycle too.

the BPO / Andre Cluytens version of 7 seems to be not quite there either.

so pick your favourites...

1 - Zinman/Tonhalle or Norrington/LCP

2 - Norrington/LCP

3 - Klemperer/LPO or Jochum/Concertgebouw or Wand/Cologne (ancient radio recording)

4 - Vanska/Minnesota on BIS

5 - Vanska/Minnestoa or Szell/Concertgebouw

6 -Ashkenazy/Philharmonia maybe - this symphony never works for me.

7 - Bohm/Berlin Phil (or might have been VPO)or Kleiber/VPO

8 - Norrington/LCP

9 - Norrington/LCP or Wand/NDR Symphony

I'm avidly awaiting the future release of Osmo Vanska and Minnesota Orchestra on BIS as their first disc of 4 & 5 was stunning.

Kleiber/VPO is awesome. Still available on DG coupled with the 5th I think.

Glens of Antrim wrote:

Isn't it strange how infrequently Beethoven come up in this forum :?

Hey! If you guys play R.Strauss's Metamorphosen you can hear a sample from the Funeral Marsh of LvB's Eroica Symphony at the end.:D

:P:P:P

For no.7 Kleiber/VPO would be my pick too, despite that claustrophobic DG sound. Its more of a "legendary" perforamnce than the accompanying 5th imho.

SS

solidstateman wrote:

For no.7 Kleiber/VPO would be my pick too, despite that claustrophobic DG sound. Its more of a "legendary" performance than the accompanying 5th imho.

SS

I know what you mean about claustrophobic sound. Is there a version that has a nice clear airy sound that is nearly as legendary?

:dude:

peter312 wrote:

solidstateman wrote:
For no.7 Kleiber/VPO would be my pick too, despite that claustrophobic DG sound. Its more of a "legendary" performance than the accompanying 5th imho.

SS

I know what you mean about claustrophobic sound. Is there a version that has a nice clear airy sound that is nearly as legendary?

:dude:

Ashkenazy and the Philharmonia on Decca steadily gains my affection with every occasion I play it. The sonics are faultless and the accompanying 5th is also good.

SS

The Zinman Tonhalle set has excellent sound, and is available at budget price. All his series are good performances except the 9th.

picked up the Kleiber 5&7 for £3.99 in the Virgin sale :cool:

great performance :^

I was listening to 2nd mvt of 7 on headphones last night. I can clearly hear chairs creaking and people sniffing etc. at one point I thought they were having a toot of some charlie to get fired up for the 4th movement. ;)

Check out Sym 4 (CD & LP), Sym 6 and Sym 7 (SACD!) conducted by Kleiber issued by Orfeo, and also the SACD version of Sym 5&7 by Kleiber from DG. (I actually owned the separate LP of 5 & &, the early release (separately) of this 5 & 7, then the combi version of 'The Originals' and then this SACD... version)

If for a complete cycle...I personally favour the Bruno Walter Cycle (Stereo, issued by CBS then again by Sony on Bruno Walter edition)....but these are really early stereo recording..... also can consider Karajan 70's cycle.... i don't really like the 60's ones and the 80's DDD release from DG

The Walter 4 & 6 is one of my favourite Beethoven recordings & about the 3rd or 4th classical lp I bought way back in 1984 or so (was trying to impress a girl of course :D). Haven't heard the rest of Walter's Beethoven though. Must look out for it.

And welcome to the Wigwam & the classical lodge. Were all harmless, bar the sledging&always a lot of fun.

GofA

Welcome to the classical teepee, Godlau. We look forward to having some fun with you.:sorry:

Agree with you about HvK's 80s DG Beethoven cycle - it's glossy rubbish imho.:shock::P The 70s cycle is the pick of the lot, although the 60s has its crowning glory in that magnificent 9th.

For LvB's Symphony 4 my personal fav would be Mravinksy's with the Leningrad PO. And surprise, surprise! I will be attending a concert performance of this symphony very soon and the orchestra is none other than the Oslo Philharmonic! :cool:

Yes, I will finally get to hear this acclaimed orchestra in the flesh!:oj:Might submit a report to make yall jealous.;)

SS

Glens of Antrim wrote:

And welcome to the Wigwam & the classical lodge. Were all harmless, bar the sledging&always a lot of fun.

GofA

That's true. We are a very close-knit community:hug:

Please enjoy your time here and do try to avoid steppingin Boxer's piles of French shit.;)

SS

solidstateman wrote:

....I will be attending a concert performance of this symphony very soon and the orchestra is none other than the Oslo Philharmonic! :cool:

Yes, I will finally get to hear this acclaimed orchestra in the flesh!:oj:Might submit a report to make yall jealous.;)

mit Previn? could be good.

Personally can't stand Karajan in Beethoven... 80s is dire, 70s is slightly less dire, 60s is actually quite good, but many better.