Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AmDismal

Have cash, need ideas...

37 posts in this topic

I've just sold my dCS on fleabay (made a rather nice profit too :)), so I have up to about £3k to spend gratuitously on kit.

The dCS sale was driven by the fact that, when I got the F3 here, I plugged the SB+ directly into it, and tbh it sounded great (although that might have been the Hitachi interconnect :zip:). So I thought, why bother with all those boxes? Might as well get a Modwright Transporter, gotta be nicer than the dCS and definitely cooler.

Now I am running scared of buying something blind for that amount of cash, so am also considering:

• Just keeping the money for no apparent reason
  • Linn Akurate DS. This, I will admit, is unlikely
  • Buy some amplifiers, maybe some Welborne 45s, or get someone to build me something a bit special
  • Why not spend it on speakers, maybe get the new hemp drivers for my AN-E/Ds, or buy the Overkill Audio Ovations on fleabay, but then I'd need more amps...

My concern is that the SB+ is a good digital source, and frankly once you have a good digital source, digital is not that much fun. You can have a lot more fun with amps and speakers, I find. But I do want to make sure that the source is good enough...

Any thoughts, random unfounded opinions, etc?

AmDismal wrote:

tbh it sounded great (although that might have been the Hitachi interconnect :zip:).

:)'course it is!

How about some comments/review on my Hitachi thread. I can't remember if you are a True Cable Believer or not ....

__

Anyway, back to On Topic - give the money to me and I'll be on eBay toot-sweet and the money is as good as gone.

Problem solved. :^

AmDismal wrote:

My concern is that the SB+ is a good digital source, and frankly once you have a good digital source, digital is not that much fun. You can have a lot more fun with amps and speakers, I find. But I do want to make sure that the source is good enough...

Any thoughts, random unfounded opinions, etc?

Yes of course! the road certainly doesn't end there! Analogue is way more fun! you get to choose cartridges, decks, tonearms, motors, psu, phonostages, even bearing fluid!

and certainly look way cooler than cd players!

dsc02078p.jpg

I've been having more fun playing with old 78s than I've had in a long while. Endless nerdy tweakery, not just in terms of cartridges, etc. but you get to try and work out the right EQ curve - Yes you get to gratuitously mess with tone controls in the full knowledge that in this case it's audiophool approved - also real vintage gear is way cool.

Edison cylinders ... that's the next "where it's at".

Cheers guys, my record player is quite adequate for the use it gets!

@ Jerry: not got round to comparing the Hitachi cable to anything yet. Just plugged it in. I rarely get excited about cables nowadays :)

@ Pete: yeah, that plan with the active amp is still under consideration, now with the ANs rather than LVs!

@ Stu: I might tidy up the Lowthers, but chances are they will be going into the basement, where looks are totally unimportant. To be honest, that's no bad thing for them...

@ Paul: no comment that will be suitable for work!

DEALER

I love Audionote speakers, the first watts amp suppose to be pretty decent and dCS's sound is pretty much what you always wanted. Why don't you go off to Thailand for 2 weeks?