Borats Baby

New car design .

46 posts in this topic

After several years of really shite cars being designed, are they finally starting to get it right ?

Theres not been a new car in the last 8 - 10 years that I've liked the look of, but more recently 3 or 4 have grabbed my attention....

The most recent is the new Honda Accord,

Accord_Estate_intro.jpgAccord_Estate_01_main.jpg

before that, it was the 407 coupe, now I'm not a big fan of Peugeots at all, but this one I thought was nice !!!

peugeot_407_coupe_2005_01_s.jpg

Others I've seen are the Astra Coupe,

4_Profile.jpg

Audi A5 coupe,

audi_a5_rear_660.jpg

among others I cant quite recall right now......

Now, you may think these cars are mingin, and most of me really want to agree, but I really like em, and thats a big deal......

..... for me !

i'd agree in general with you that only a few cars seem to have any sort of design flare in them lately. the 406 coupe was the last truly beautiful car that wasn't priced for international playboys - shocking build quality though. compared to it the 407 coupe a munter.

i quite like the look of the alfa 159, the mazda 6 is quite handsome and the seat leon looks pretty purposeful.

nothing really pushes my buttons lately though.

I think the Fiat Punto design is excellent for a cheaper range of car.

fiat-grande-punto-abarth-1.jpg

Not quite the standard model :)

I really like the current BMW 3 series especially from the front... think it so lean looking... the sheet metal really does look like its been stretched to fit...

Good looking new cars

Vauxhall Insignia

Alfa Brera

Jaguar XF

Jaguar XK / R

Skoda Superb

VW Passat CC

BMW 135i

New car that looks worse than the one it replaces -

Ford Ka

Ford Mondeo

Renault Megane

Honda Jazz

Subaru Legacy

Borats Baby wrote:

gazar wrote:
I think the Fiat Punto design is excellent for a cheaper range of car.

Not mad on that Gaz.

Maybe someotherEXAMPLES of giugiaro,s designs may float your boat.

EDIT:dodgy link

HoopsOnToast wrote:

Good looking new cars

Vauxhall Insignia - Tell me you're joking!

Alfa Brera - OK

Jaguar XF - shapeless, no Jag design language, will age faster than cheese and depreciate like, well, a mid-range Jaguar saloon

Jaguar XK / R - OK

Skoda Superb - bland, bland, bland, bland: looks like a blander Passat

VW Passat CC - badly-executed knock-off of strange droopy Mercedes

BMW 135i - dumpy, too many unresolved/conflicting swage lines

:P

Got to be said, usually MIB and my tastes are not similar when it comes to cars... but I have to agree with the pink and blobby one on this.

The Insignia is one of the most stunningly ugly cars to hit the road in a long while. That big bloated chrome grill and more chrome across teh back. With such ugly lines, why highlight them!

BMW 1 series, on paper a good car, but grief it has been beat up badly with the ugly stick.

As for the Fords that made Hoops' 'worse' list ...... I think the new Fords are all better looking than the cars they replace, although it is a shame the Ka and the Fiesta are so similar rather than the Ka having it's own identity.

Agree with those that site the Leon as good looking, especially the recent facelifted FR.

Both Hoops and the Blobster have got it wrong on the Jaguar XK/R though. It's sadlyyet another example of Jaguar taking a gorgeous Aston Martin andbloody ruining it.

Also, regarding the new Ka, NOTHING could possibly have been worse than the old one........

I found myself looking at an old 205 the other day and I thought what a good looking car - nothing complicated, no silly 'surface flaming', bulges, retro silly bits just plain, simple good design. Why cant they do that these days??

The XF is very colour depedant...red works, pale colours dont IMO.

Lots of the latest designs are using the same design formulae....sweeping lines moving up towards the back and widening, so that the rear wheel arches and the 'boot' are much wider than the cabin, giving it hips and a low swoopy nosed look.

Designers then cock this up at the front with hideous grilles and lights. Alfa in a typically Italian way sculpt the worlds most gorgeous and then stick the offset rectangle of a number plate just in the one place where it will bugger the whole design.

All that said, I like the new accord...at least it made me look, and the passat is very coherent too...nothing is out of place...very germanicly neat.:?

I'm sick of all these bulbous front light clusters and other such daft protrusions. Also triangular exhausts annoy me and will date sooo much. I preferred the old Ka, the old Fiesta and the old Mondeo to comment on others mentioned here...