Borats Baby

Lumen White Silver Flame

46 posts in this topic

I also use a clamp most of the time so no, haven't found slippage a problem. I know of users who have expressed concern about the possibility of grit or the like being sandwiched between vinyl and platter; but given the record is put on and picked up vertically with the platter stationary, ie there's no scrubbing between surfaces, I can't see how this would be a problem unless the pollutant were major - in which case it would be visible and easily removed.

Adjusting VTA is necessary though, not least because (with an RB250 anyway) the change in VTF associated with such a large change in height is relatively large.

[b]Beobloke wrote: [/b][quote]My experiences with DAB so far are -

(1) In HFW office in London - signal randomly breaks up, disappears and then reappears throughout the day.

(2) At home in Hampshire countryside - no DAB at all according to the 'enter your postcode' website. A Pure mini system I reviewed managed to pull in about 3 stations but only just, and they were virtually unlistenable.

(3) On a portable radio on the train from Petersfield to London - I managed 2 minutes of Radio 2 on DAB whilst sat in the station at Guildford. Other than that - nothing.

I've never tried in-car DAB but the above expereinces suggest to me that it might not be very good! As a final thought,I wonderhow long it will takesomeone will come up with what's effectively a 'set top box' so we can still use our old tuners if/when FM goes?!
[/quote]

Firstly, in car DAB works very well as long as you use a proper roof mounted aerial. In fact it out performs FM in practically every respect. I know because I have been using it for a few years now.

DAB and FM don't work very well in many moderntrains because the windows are coated with a substance that seems to block VHF signals - and DAB is an all or nothing system. That said the FM signal is very weak and not very useable on these trains, though mobile phones still work:(.

Someone mentioned the poor signal recieved on the Denon TU1800 on it's supplied indoor aerial. I found that when auditioning the modeland went for the Pure DRX-702ES instead - which was fine. That said, just like FM you should go for a decent rooftop aerial.

As for sound quality on DAB, Radio Three at 192 kbps sounds OK when compared to it's FM output, but on some of it's programs FM still has the edge. BBC Radio 6 Music sounds surprisingly good at 128 kbps, but some pop output from commercial stations sounds harsh and thin. That said, Classic FM sounds far better on DAB than it does on FM - so it is broadcaster dependant!

There are enough frequencies on Band III DAB to make it possible to use higher bitrates, especially if you start to use DAB+ for any new networks. If it were possible to increase the bitrate for Radio Three to 224 or 256 kbps, without it creating problems with existing sets or affecting other output,then I'm sure it would bridge the occasional gap in quality. The silent background and the scope for robust and seamless reception on the move means that whilst I think that 2015 is premature for an FM switch off, it need not be the end of quality radio as we know it.

Finally, the bad news for those who are having a go at the Government. The Tories seem also to support these proposals.

[b]Birdbrain wrote: [/b][quote]
The argument about whether alcohol damages vinyl has raged on the net for years, funnily my alcohol comes in a plastic bottle.
[/quote]
That observation is about as bird-brained as the one from the guy who's worried about the presence of "abrasive" salt in a [i]liquid[/i] cleaner.

Are you unaware that there is more than one type of "plastic" available on the market? And that the insolubility of one chemical formulation of "plastic" in alcohol is no guide to the behaviour of any other "plastic", including the vinyl LP mix? Those of us who know that there is no danger in cleaning LPs with ethanol or isopropanol don't need misplaced support of this nature to help us.

Congratulations to Uncle Ants. I often wondered if I was the only person outside the industry who knew about the use of PVC/PVA copolymer as the plasticiser in the vinyl mix. But he's got his proportions wrong. He left out the PVC itself.

And on another matter, the guy who thinks that lead and other transition metal stearates are used as mould-release "lubricants" clearly needs reminding that shellac 78s, which indeed contained these ingredients, haven't been around for a while.

[b]anubisgrau wrote: [/b][quote]sure, humans easily get spoiled with the best. still, if i would be you, i would be enjoying a LCR more. you made something wonderful with your hands.

any thoughts about topology of Kondo's phono, apart from his usual exotic parts, any other intersting bits?
[/quote]
In terms of circuit topology, most of the Kondo stuff is well engineered, but not particularly innovative. There are no magic tricks used and you won't experience any revelations by looking at the circuits. The performance seems to be down to a combination of attention to detail and the componentry used to voice the products very carefully. They're not always the most 'hifi' sounding, but generally extremely natural.

The M77 does have a sound of it's own - it's not truly neutral, but what it does is very, very appealing.

Ok i have edited and re-opened this thread. Once someone hits this thread with their own agenda the only posts left were these ones which seems balanced and reasonable . The rest of it was a waste of space . Please don't swear at each other unless its tongue in cheek and that certainly wasn't the casefrom one poster .

I will start another thread on the one that derailed this .

;-)

[b]jonnyone wrote: [/b][quote]Thanks for the help Mr. W

BTW Is there a difference between ECL 86 valves and EL 86 valves?
[/quote]
EL86 is a pentode valve, ECL86 is actually two valves in a single bottle, a triode and a pentode - so very different

[b]Papa Lazarou wrote: [/b][quote][b]opusover21 wrote: [/b][quote][b]Duvet wrote: [/b][quote]Ok i'm hacked off . Posters keep jumping into debates with it seems to me with a pretty strong povon this subject when the easiest thing to do would be start your own bloody thread and stop sidetracking others.

In essence fill your boots . So is a £30 DVD player the same as a £2000 cd player.

PS . No name calling or i'll get James to :clout:you

Let the games begin.
[/quote]
[b]With regards to the transport yes....all the same[/b]. Spend the money on the DAC section to at least "hear" a difference..:^
[/quote]

Since most cdps below £4k use pretty much the same transport mechanism.....
[/quote]
Sure thing Phil and regardless of the backlash....some pretty fancy ones too

Been a long wait since booking the tickets, but I was there Tuesday night.

Awesome.

The face had indeed been upgraded Clothy, very good actually, he even appeared to be looking at the characters on the stage.

Beth was Jennifer Elison (I'd not heard of her, apparently she was in a soap - but she was actually very good) and I think the chap taking the part of Nathanial was also different, but the rest were as per the post I made in October.

The fireworks used for the explosions were intense, you could feel the heat from them and the use of lights, smoke, explosions and the biggest screen I've seen in any venue all worked really well.

The footsteps of the alien fighting machines, you felt them! The sort of thump you never experience no matter what home cinema you have.

The band must have played this sooo many times, yet the passion and enthusiasm flowed from them. Little Miss Talented that plays everything and runs from the harp, to the xylophone, to the tom toms etc etc - how much talent (and energy) can one girl have!!

Really can recommend this show.

I had a 156 from brand spanking new. Purchase price - £18,000.5 years and 70 k miles later. Sold for £3,500. Also spent approx £3k on repairswhen the big ends packed up (no oil).

I have also owned a3 year old 147 with 25k miles on the clock. Water pump failure cost me another £3k to repair. Sold it on pretty soon afterwards.

Never again!

How the fuck does grass cutting at £60 a time enhance someones ability to preform as an MP? I do all my own grass cutting, and pay for all my own food, and if I want to decorate my house, I have to pay for that too.

As forthem blamingthe systems, andnot really doing anything wrong,bollocks. Do those bastards,who preach about the moral state of the country at every given opportunity have any fucking morals of their own?

Chris.

[b]Papa Lazarou wrote: [/b][quote]How about we organise a bakeoff of supposedly transparent amps and cd players then?

You bring a carefully-measured £30 DVD player and Behringer amp I'll bring 51 lbs of Jap Crap and a dark Serbian monolith.

I'm game if you are Serge? I suspect others will be too!
[/quote]
i would hope there would be a difference Phil..but it may not be as huge as expected. That said I'll still wager the X03-SE and an Apple Mac would sound identical into the same DAC...lol

[b]Emma Royd wrote: [/b][quote]...changed mine out of curiosity more than anything else.New belt getting on for two inches shorter,so may be worth checking out chaps.[/quote]

Who are you kidding fatty. You'll rupture yourself trying to fit into a shorter belt;-)

Cheers BB