Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gingembre

Puresound p10

24 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Swapped my dino for a p10 a few days ago (thks to the earl of sodbury - great chap)and am looking for a little help to cement my opinion - if that makes sense.

After being initially slightly underwhelmed by the p10 I think I now get it - the Dino was more in your face whereas the p10 is more laid back but with greater detail, it's seems to produce more of everything but more subtley and that I think is what i'm starting to see.

However, i'm using dynavector 10x5 (high output mc) and the result is a slightly noisier background - pops and clicks seem to be more intrusive. This is not a huge problem in itself as the music is sublime but I guess this is the downside of using a mc (albeit high output - but low output when compared to a mm). Am I right in thinking that a mm would give greater volume with less background noise?

I'd be very interested in any other opinions or findings people have regarding the p10.

Who needs a cd player ;-)?

Wonderful piece of kit, but you've only had it a few days and I am assuming it's (a) new and (b) not had many hours put on the clock. If I am right, then use, enjoy and wait for it to burn in. You will hear the difference starting after at least 40 hrs of use. If you bought s/h have a word with a dealer, preferably one on the wam there maybe a mis match between your cart and the P10. I'm sure His Grace the Earl of Sodbury can give you good advice, although he's not a dealer in these, but I'm sure he uses one.

mighty ant wrote:

I'm sure His Grace the Earl of Sodbury can give you good advice, although he's not a dealer in these, but I'm sure he uses one.

I think this is sodders old one, I think he swapped it for a Dino.

My opinion is it depends on the other kit you use with it as to how good it can sound, it's definitely not for everyone.

Matt J wrote:

mighty ant wrote:
I'm sure His Grace the Earl of Sodbury can give you good advice, although he's not a dealer in these, but I'm sure he uses one.

I think this is sodders old one, I think he swapped it for a Dino.

My opinion is it depends on the other kit you use with it as to how good it can sound, it's definitely not for everyone.

Right!

;-)

The P10 certainly seems to divide opinion.

I'm most pleased with the results from mine.

Cheers for the advice - the 10x5 cartridge i'm using is (i think) not really high enough output for the p100 to work as well as it should (only puts out 2.5mv rather than the average 5-6mv of a mm)- beginning to think i shouldn't have messed in the 1st place...bbzzzzz, bu#ger, bol#ocks:dunno:

Anyway, 3 choices:

1. Stick with it for the moment - makes nice noises but have to put the amp on high volume and the signal to noise ratio is quite high.

2. Ditch the p10 and look for another dino

3. Ditch the 10x5 and go for something like a goldring 1042 (am i going to lose anything?)

What would you do??

Same here, I demo'd it against my Delphini and it wasn't for me.

I have enjoyed great results from my P10 with a Rega Exact and now currently with a 2M Black. Plenty of gain and good levels of background noise with these MM carts. A move to a MM cart is well worth investigating.

I would audition carefully first if you do go for a new cart, otherwise you will have then gone 2 moves in the wrong direction, assumingyou were tostill be left underwhelmed.

No experience myself, and I could be talking rubbish, but would a Step up transformer be another option ??

I think it is more to do with your speakers.

James and Sodders didn't like it with Triangles, and it wasn't at it's best with Duvet's Kharmas, yet I haven't heard anything but praise from LV and Tannoy owners.

I don't think it is the valve circuit as much as synergy with the type (and sound) of the speakers in the system. It would be interesting to check peoples experiences against the type of system they have.

I find the p10 extremely fast, faster than the dino actually! It was this aspect that has really surprised me!

bigdur wrote:

Same here, I demo'd it against my Delphini and it wasn't for me.

It might be interesting to try it again now you have the Tannoys :)