In the wake of restoring approx 250,000 garbled posts (having remote URL images) since forum migration, rebuilding of forum content followed by search indexing is currently under process. During this process (which may take 1-2 days to complete), the search function may not work properly. We apologize for the inconvenience. Alternatively, you may use Google search; for eg: amplifier site:hifiwigwam.com/forum/

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Evlampi

Dynaudio Contour 1.3 mkII vs Focus 110

14 posts in this topic

Hi there, I`m offered a s/h Dynaudio Contour 1.3 mkII at a good price.
I was about to get new focus 110 in several months.
I have heard the focus but not with my amp .. because there still quite a lot time to the purchase - saving money and making research :)

But suddenly the 1.3 mkII offer appeared.

So I`m about to test them with my amp maybe next Sunday, unfortunately no chance to test the focus 110 or to compare them side by side.

I have to react quickly :)

The amp is Naim Supernait.

So ..neglecting the price ... is there anyone having experience with both these speakers?

The room now is small - 13m2 but i hope soon will be something about 20m2

If the 1.3 IIs are below £500 and ib good condition buy them they are classic speakers, they are different animals to the 110s in cabinet volume, construction (ie double boxed MDF) and IIRC drivers are different.

Dynaudio Contour 1.3 Mk IIs - need some welly up them though I reckon they are a nice match with Naim amplification.

[url]http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_2/dynaudio-contour-13-speakers-6-2002.html[/url]

[url]http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/333/[/url]

There are some good thraesd from Dynadudues here about the ranges if you search the forum.

The 1.3 MkII is the forerunner of the Focus 140. It's a bigger speaker than the 110 and needs power and space.

Your supernait will be plenty on the power front, but make sure you have enough space to get them out into the room.

If not, save for the 110 - but if you see a pair of Contour 1.1 in the meantime, grab 'em!

As Mibby says room and power is the issue. Providing you have space enough (behind and at the sides) then the Supernait/1.3s will sing.

Strat

In the present situation, the max distance i`m able to place the speakers from the rear wall is about 40 - 50 cm.
Otherwise :) the speakers will be situated in the middle pf the room :)

Dyn usually reco at least 35cm so you should be ok with either.

1.3s are fantastic speakers the only time I heard 110s was via MF equipment and they sounded pretty good. The dealer felt that compared to the 52s while the bass was better it didn't intergrate as well with the treble as either the 52 or 1.3 ranges.

I had 1.4S for a week!

They needed a lot more than 50cm behind them and had the worst bass boom of any speaker I have ever had in my room. :(

Even stuffing the rear ports didn't help that much, plus I knew that really wasn't the answer.

All rooms vary of course, at the dealers listening room ( a lot bigger than mine) they really sang and sounded great. :)

I hope they work for you jumpmonkey!

I have my 1.3 IIs lodged in lack shelving towers, they have 6 inches of space at the rear, port is unbunged at they are firing down a 6m long room, width is 4m. No boom to my ears.

[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/CJRHifi/1.jpg?t=1240263845[/img]

I have 1.3 Mk2s. I cannot hear any difference whether they are pushed up against the wall in a corner or in free space, but then admittedly I do not have golden ears by a long stretch.