In the wake of restoring approx 250,000 garbled posts (having remote URL images) since forum migration, rebuilding of forum content followed by search indexing is currently under process. During this process (which may take 1-2 days to complete), the search function may not work properly. We apologize for the inconvenience. Alternatively, you may use Google search; for eg: amplifier site:hifiwigwam.com/forum/

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pianoman

BBC Music Magazine 2009 Awards

5 posts in this topic

The Mozart set is superb.

The only other disc in the winners that I've heard is the Wispelway Shostakovich 2nd Cello Concerto. Its a great perfomance but I'm surprised its won for engineering! IMO The sound is too close and very oppressive - just too much larger than life.

Yes, I think the Mozart is a worthy winner - and could have won engineering as well IMO. Haven't heard any of the others to comment apart from Donizetti DVD, which is also excellent, and others in the Bavouzet series, which are equally good.

Thanks for the input on the Mozart.

I will download the 24/88.2 version tonight, as I have a massive Mozart shaped gap in my modest classical collection.

I've just bought the Quatuor Ebene Debussy, Faure and Ravel set and it is excellent!

Interestingly, to me at least, 2 winners playing the Faure quartet: is the rest of the world finally catching up with late Faure?