Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest eisenach

Chord Signature Speaker Cable

32 posts in this topic

meninblack wrote:

Still if people are daft enough to pay for it, why not take their money? :D

Yep, absolutely. :^

Going back to the cottage industry aspect, I do accept that, but I still think they shouldn't be that stingy with the tools budget. That carpet knife he's using is simply not safe, they should get a proper tool if only for that. Or maybe that's what the qualifying is all about, to handle improper tools without severing your fingers :D

What function does the little spacer clamp you see the young chap screwing together early on?

Is it a “make the owner feel special add on†to the cable or does it serve some audio purpose ?.

Alexxus wrote:

That carpet knife he's using is simply not safe, they should get a proper tool if only for that. Or maybe that's what the qualifying is all about, to handle improper tools without severing your fingers :D

Stanley knives have a poor rep for safety, but for a lot of jobs they are the best and easiest tool. I haven't found any of the alternatives to be very convincing.

cjr wrote:

What function does the little spacer clamp you see the young chap screwing together early on?

Is it a “make the owner feel special add on†to the cable or does it serve some audio purpose ?.

I think that does the same job as the little block of wood fitted to Nordost Odin... :D

cjr wrote:

It does, yes. It makes the owner feel important. :rofl: Or maybe less guilty for spending all that money on a piece of wire, thick as it may be.

I don't really know, to be honest, I think it just holds the two together and makes it easier to handle them.

cjr wrote:

Looks like it keeps the cable twisted and both cables the same length while being terminated.

meninblack wrote:

cjr wrote:

I think that does the same job as the little block of wood fitted to Nordost Odin... :D

2134xl.jpg

Or these .....

I had a short but interesting conversation with one of the Chord chappies at the Manchester (Deansgate) show late in 2007 shortly after the new Chorus 2 had emerged. From what I could gather, the reel that they had been using for the original Chorus ran out so they had to use something else - hence the change from the twisted pair to a coaxial format. Also, I suspect that the move to using a nylon braid cover allows the use of generic 'off the shelf' cables rather than having own spec stuff made with branded coverings - this final statement applies to all such cable manufacturers rather than just singling out Chord.

Clothy the issue of cable costs is one close to my heart, I am a cable sceptic but I do use 75ohm screened coaxial cable where possible and neutrik plugs to make my ICs. Ever since I got involved in DIY ICs, for me it was the Great White Shark – Pure solid silver ICs (there was a UK dealer selling these cables for £200 – DIY parts wise it was £30-40), it was made evident to me how much of a mark up in on hifi cables. I seen early one that I was going down a road where I was not buying the best kit I could afford because of the cables I “needed†to hook it all up together. I also got a good view to how ludicrous the mark up was.

What gets me and always has in this hobby is the cost issue of cables, funnily enough people thinking that they have spent £500 on an IC and that they have got the “best†cable in its field. For me it is part of the “making the user feel special†aspect of this hobby, that these spacers and wooden blocks are part and parcel of.

I think decent interconnects/speaker cables used to cost money. These days, you can do a lot with £15 on interconnects. With speaker cables, the internet debate has allowed us to find other cables to repurpose that normal, non techy users in the 80's and 90's wouldn't have known about because this kind of information was largely filtered out by the hifi press.