Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fenlander

Slim/neat used speaker choice for smaller room.

9 posts in this topic

As mentioned in another thread our hi-filives in a smallish dining room (about 4m x 3.5m) which we are just making over and it has to be massively decluttered. For a while now I've been using ProAc Mini Towers which replaced Tablette Supers I'd had for years and then the first Tablettes before that. I'd been using a Paradigm 10" sub with the Mini Towers as they lack low bass and that sounded fine. I like the ProAc mid/treble but just can't afford their slightly larger models with more bass.

I am really trying to lose the sub but keep the bass so hadtried Acoustic Energy 109s on their ownlast year which were just too boomy on the bass even with the rear ports plugged with foam.... also bit unrefined compared to the ProAcs.

The speakers have to be near the rear wall and close to corners so any ported design really needs a front port and I don't seem to like sealed boxes as much. Tried some Castle speakers last year (bland) plus a pair of Ruark Sabres (not too bad but a bit "boxy").

I've wondered if Mission 751 or 751F might do from reading about them.

Any other ideas for some slim floorstanders or smaller standmounts that would come for £200 used on a good day? They also need to be in oak, cherry or possibly black.

I'm more than happy to take a chance buying a used pair and listening for a few weeks before selling on if they don't suit.

David

I bought a pair of Elac Jets off Jandl100 (very nice bloke). Bit more than £200, but really really good, and very small.

Stick with models up to about 5 years old & you'll be fine (with caveats)- it's remarkable how much better speakers have become over recent years £ for £.

Just stuff a sock in the rear port!

Royd Apex, Rega Ela's..both transmission lines but exit at the rear, i havent experienced boom with either mind.

Regar R3's are superb too, front port.

Royd Doublets are side ported and very good speakers.

Ruark Prologues. not sure if it is Mk1 or mk2 that is front ported. worth checking out tho as they do go cheap and loook very nice.

depending on how slim you need also check out Ruark Talisman II's, Preludes and templars.

i dont believe speakers have moved on that much and i do believe that older speakers offer better bang per buck and unlike cd players etc they are not a huge worry to repair if they did happen to go wrong.

karlinamillion wrote:

Stick with models up to about 5 years old & you'll be fine (with caveats)- it's remarkable how much better speakers have become over recent years £ for £.

like what??

im with mr bourney on this one. the quarter wave t/l's like the royd and rega models are a hell of a speaker. easy to place, work well against a wall and sound like 10 times the price.

isnt there a pair of mk2 ela's in the for sale bit? think they were cherry and circa £200.

Those Revolvers look really interesting. Very much of the proportions of my Mini Towers but with much better bass potential I'd think. They seem to be aimed at the surround sound market though rather than hi-fi. Couldn't find much on the net or any for sale.

Thanks,

David

I did a speaker comparison recently and the revolvers won - i'm looking for a smallish standmounter.

Very good and underrated imo.