Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest edfits

Getting your head around a brand

172 posts in this topic

Is there any brand you just cant work out... ? its never going to get on your dem list come hell or high water.... others might like it, but and you might not even know why.... just can't stand it.

Even if offered free you would only take it....... to sell on.

In my case its Cyrus would never buy it, not even sure what I think of its sound, just not my cup of tea .... I am not sure why :?

Focal

MA

MF

There is some basis in experience and logical reason in the above choices but most of it is based on blind bigotry :)

(Oh and Cyrus as well especially if partnered with MA) :D

Tel wrote:

Focal

MA

MF

There is some basis for in experience and logical reason in the above choices but most of it is based on blind bigotry :)

I was only thinking of kit, as the list of speakers I would never even dem is much longer :) you only need to see a speaker to hate it :D

I can honestly say that although wouldn't buy new MF again (though this is a little unfair as I prolly wouldn't buy anything new again), I'd buy with my ears! So if it sounded right, then it is right.

I don't really care about Company policy as this only really affects new purchasers, and certainly some kit wouldn't be bought if it looks truly awful, but then again I bought a Berning, hardly wife, friend or furniture friendly!

Tis really down to how it sounds in my room, with my equipment....

edfits wrote:

Is there any brand you just cant work out... ? its never going to get on your dem list come hell or high water.... others might like it, but and you might not even know why.... just can't stand it.

Even if offered free you would only take it....... to sell on.

In my case its Cyrus would never buy it, not even sure what I think of its sound, just not my cup of tea .... I am not sure why :?

in the case of Cyrus, i think it's as much the half size boxes; personally i don't have a problem with their sound presentation, it's just that look...

How could I forget the biggest one of all!

Naim

All it took was a Naim dealership salesman to answer an innocent question with...

'Naim make the best hifi in the world and they don't do that, so it can't have any value'

(together with a smug patronising smile)

Although I have auditioned one of their CD players since, in attempt to convince myself that I was still open minded, I failed miserably.

Naim are on my 'I wouldn't even touch it with yours' list

(Plus I have a thing about Power Supplies) :D

In my case, the brand that gives me the heaves is Audio Note. Can't stand anything about it. For me everything is wrong, the concept, the sound, the build quality,the lack of engineeringand especially the price. As to Peter Q, least said.....

I went to their Paris showroom a few yearsago as theyhad advertised 30,000 LPs for sale. When I gotthere, they hada few hundred, and most weren't forsale. Listened to their reference system, and it was singularly the most unpleasant thing I've heard. The price of a house and Horrible......

S.

uh yeah

pretty much 95 percent of what stereophile advertises.

overpriced audio jewelry for those possessing of more money than sense.

continuum, shunyata, shakti, machina dynamica...wilson audio labs, nordost, MIT, siltech, virtual dynamics...transparent cable...naim, darTzeel

fail-owned-xmas-window-fail.jpg

SergeAuckland wrote:

In my case, the brand that gives me the heaves is Audio Note. Can't stand anything about it. For me everything is wrong, the concept, the sound, the build quality,the lack of engineeringand especially the price. As to Peter Q, least said.....

I went to their Paris showroom a few yearsago as theyhad advertised 30,000 LPs for sale. When I gotthere, they hada few hundred, and most weren't forsale. Listened to their reference system, and it was singularly the most unpleasant thing I've heard. The price of a house and Horrible......

S.

Peresonally the UK Audio Note stuff I believe isa big con. The build quality is shocking for the price. If it was Chinese, everybody would say that it's proof that all Chinese stuff is crap. The system I heard was soft and squidgy and cost at least £100K, OK, but if you want soft and squidgy, you can do it for £400.

Peter Q, what a conman.

Oh.. companies I hate;

Art Audio - how do they justify their pricing (sorry guy's I know a lot of you use it)?

Absolute Sounds - take a product and triple it's price and then double it again

Linn - How can the LP12 be so expensive now, why pay £10K for one, when a second hand £600 one is better?

47 Labs - Totally irrational, but how can they charge so much for cheap crap

edfits wrote:

Tel wrote:
Focal

MA

MF

There is some basis for in experience and logical reason in the above choices but most of it is based on blind bigotry :)

I was only thinking of kit, as the list of speakers I would never even dem is much longer :) you only need to see a speaker to hate it :D

Totally agree with Focal, how can people live in the same house with Focal inverted tweeters. It's faily obvious to me that they must be deaf above 5K Hz.

Mr Cat wrote:

Tel wrote:
Focal

MA

MF

There is some basis in experience and logical reason in the above choices but most of it is based on blind bigotry :)

yeah, the focal and MF brigade again... :D

and you probably haven't even heard them... :D

and thats part of ther point of my post stuff you cant even dem its so bad (to you)

ncdrawl wrote:

uh yeah

pretty much 95 percent of what stereophile advertises.

overpriced audio jewelry for those possessing of more money than sense.

continuum, shunyata, shakti, machina dynamica...wilson audio labs, nordost, MIT, siltech, virtual dynamics...transparent cable...naim, darTzeel

ncdrawl, you would really hate me then; Transparent & MIT cables, shakti stones and I still want a pair of Wilson Watt/Puppy 6's some day. Agree with Continuum & Shunyata though, don't see what all the fuss is about.