Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
poppers

Rogers LS6

18 posts in this topic

I had a pair a few years back.

Good speaker but not as good as the ls7.

Funny enough i just picked a single one up on saturday....Very tatty though.

I'd try and wait for a pair of ls7s or the studio ones.

I intitially wanted 7s to be honest and did wonder if i was worth waiting for a pair. Thanks for the reply. It's to partner a Quad 33/303 system so any other recommendations are most welcome.

poppers wrote:

Has anyone heard these speakers. Are they any good. I understand they were more of a budget model for rogers. Any info will be much appreciated.

Still got some LS6as going in the 2nd system. I bought them after very careful listening about 15 years ago. They remained my main speaker for a very long time, easily following all the other changes, until I eventually up-graded to B&W CDM9NTs.

I think they're very good speakers, though probably more suited to classical than hard rock.

It's such a minefield trying to work out which speakers I should consider. I just want a nice pair of classic looking/sounding speakers that will compliment the quad. Hence the Rogers being considered.

Are you specifically looking for something in the BBC monitor tradition - Rogers, Spendor - that sort of thing?

If you are looking for somethng LS7 sized, they come up reasonably regularly on ebay and there are various similarly sized variations on the theme that won't sound a million miles different - Studio 1as, Studio 7s, LS7t, Rogers Compact Monitor and the original BBC LS5/9.

If you want something a bit bigger, the classic Spendor BC1s come up very, very regularly on ebay - in fact having a look there are 5 pairs on there now. Also its "successors" the SP1 and SP1/2 (edit the approx. Rogers equivalents would ... I think ... be the Export Monitors and Studio 1s).

really good site about Rogers speakers here:

http://www.mhennessy3.f9.co.uk/rogers/index.htm

and some useful stuff about the BC1 here:

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/vintageBC1.htm

Thanks for that info it's a great help. It does not definately have to be rogers speakers but a classic british speaker was what i was after. The spendors would be an ideal choice too. I noticed the Rogers Compact Monitors but it seems quite hard to find any detailed information about them.

They are a bit of a mystery. Looking at the ones on ebay they are almost exactly the same size as the LS6 but closer in wieght to the LS7s and the slightly smaller LS5/9s.

There's an LS3/5a forum somewhere out there. If anyone knows, they will.

I think you are looking at £300 or so for nice ones with stands.

As with the LS3/5a their cult has a temple:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/spendor/

you could ask there what to look out for, prices, pitfalls etc. These are old speakers, so it's wise to take advice.

Edit - and keep an eye out for SP1s as well - later descendents with higher power handling

The LS7t were good in there day, they sound 'slow' by todays standards though and need LOTS of welly to get them going....nice mid though, bass slighlty over blown and treble pretty good for an old metal dome. Built like a tank!