Tel

Bruckner

33 posts in this topic

Being a total Classical numpty I still feel rather self concious posting in here :oops:

Anyway, someone gave me a CD recently and suggested I gave it a listen which I did this morning'

It was Bruckner Symphony No4 which I enjoyed very much, but when I went looking for a copy of the cover to post on the 'What are you listening to now?' thread I couldn't find it or indeed any version conducted by Rafael Kubelik.

It is a CBS recording, have I got some unknown budget version? and should I look for a better copy? which conductor?

Actually I rather enjoyed this work and maybe should get something else, any other Bruckner suggestions?

Kubelik's Bruckner 4 is very highly regarded, its a good'un.

Kubelik was a great Czech conductor but more famous for his Dvorak and Mahler performances than for Bruckner which he recorded little of.

You might want to try Karl Bohm's excellent recording of same symphony:

51PamLw3YvL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

If you like the 4th, then next step might be the 7th. Bernard Haitink/Concertgebouw Orchestra recording on Philips from 1977 is my favourite.... but doesn't seem to be currently available!

But might be in this complete set which is a bit of a bargain:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruckner-Complete-Symphonies/dp/B00000E589/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1230833477&sr=1-4

Approach Bruckner carefully.... my favourite Bruckner symphony is the 5th but I wouldn't recommend it as the place to start.

musicbox wrote:

Approach Bruckner carefully....

Excellent advice: it's taken me years to begin getting the hang of Bruckner & I think I'm only just about there, but I'm still not completely sure.

Welcome to the classical section,Tel! We don't bite, more just flounce a bit (well, what do you expect from me & Solid?).

If you want to get into Bruckner & have any musical technical knowledge try & get hold of Robert Simpson's book on the major orchestral works & masses. It's a very deep analysis which walks you through each symphony & will greatly increase your admiration of how complex classical symphonies really are.

The "best" Bruckner 4? I think the Munich Celibidache or the Klemperer. The Celibidache takes a good 15 minutes longer but these are opposite poles & lays a question as to whether Klemperer was always a slow conductor. I'd add the live Furtwangler but it uses a corrupt edition.

The only original CBS version I can recall is the Bruno Walter/ Columbia Symphony - used to be coupled with a very highly regarded 9th, so you could have a good version anyway, but would second the Bohm, a true classic in excellent sound.

The CD is on the "CBS Records Masterworks" series. Orginally recorded in 1981, it says this CD was Originally mastered from the original studio digital recording at CBS in NYC.

Cat No MDK 46505

It is Kubelik with the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra.

Bruckner? ooooh, don't get me started ;-)- my fave composer.

Yup, that Kubelik 4th is a fine one. That will do you nicely for the 4th ... for now.

I agree that the next step is the 7th. TBH, I'd very strongly recommend Tintner conducting on the Naxos label (and that's a bargain label, too :)- £5.99 new in the shops). Or HERE used from Amazon Market Place for £3.96 UK delivered.

You are entering a very wonderful world, Tel. It's possible to get quite obsessive about different recordings of the same Bruckner work - I have about 40 different recordings of the 7th symphony, for example. :nuts:

Yup, go next for Tintner's Bruckner 7 on Naxos. :^A very fine performance indeed, and totally splendid sound quality, too.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the replies, it can be a bit of a bewildering world out there!

I will visit again with my next numpty question!

I won't be ordering any books I am afraid Stefaner, my musical technical knowledge begins and ends with the 12 bar blues! :)

Jerry, I have ordered that version of the 7th.

I have to say that I have always ignored the Naxos label, I thought they were the mfp of the classical recording world.

Tel wrote:

Jerry, I have ordered that version of the 7th.
:^I am sure you won't be disappointed!

I have to say that I have always ignored the Naxos label, I thought they were the mfp of the classical recording world.

Well, like most labels - Naxos has some pretty poor stuff :sick:and some really wonderful stuff :love:, and all manner of things in-between, too!

It's certainly not in your best interest to dismiss it out of hand. :)

Just ask us denizens of the classical forum here for some opinions. ;-)

Also, I've got some fantastic classical mfp & cfpLPs & CDs!

Tel wrote:

As Jerry said, Naxos can be a highly worthwhile label: a couple of my favourite recordings of a few pieces are on Naxos.

Naxos is doing for classical music what none of the multinationals are doing. The premiere recordings of the Maxwell-Davies quartets by their premiere performers? A full Alwyn cycle? Rare Charles Ives? Imagine any of that on EMI as they currently exist. Naxos performances are usually at least serviceable. I must have 200 or more in my own collection.

MFP & CFP were usually sourced from older full price EMI or in some cases specially recorded. Very few were of poor quality & some- the Kempe Scheherazade & the MacKerras Mozart symphonies- amongst the very best.

Don't knock them because they're cheap!

The Simpson book is accessible to anyone with a basic ability to read music & the ability to realise the key has changed. All lovers of Bruckner should have it & all Nielsen lovers his volume on that composer.

Oh & a thumbs up to the Tintner Bruckner cycle!

Probably my fave LP ... on mfp ;-)and in mono :shock:...

if you're enjoying Bruckner orchestral music, then you should also try his choral music - his major compositional triumphs IMHO. Wonderful on the ear and gorgeous to sing !

Hyperion have a whole series of recordings which are top of the tree for me.

k

Gave this my first listen today (if not my full concentration)

bruckner7.jpg

Definitely merits more attention

Cheers guys! :^:D