Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
russ abbott - royds broth

Most important pre or power

17 posts in this topic

I'am sure this has probably been done to death......but at present having to downgrade for a while.

Using a big sansui reciever which has the option of pre/power.

All though the the sanui hs bags of power on tap 240watts i have the op to buy a quad power cheap.

Would it be worth it on the quality front or would the pre in the sansui not be up for it.

On it's own the sansui is no slouch so it's no big deal either way.

Looks like my valve amp might be leaving the building soon.:cs:

Everything else being = the pre will have more impact but a number of things come into play most obviously how easy or not a drive your speakers are.

Strat

depends which Sansui it is. They made some more than respectable kit, so the quad may be different rather than better.

When I first got a Quad 909 I was using the pre outs on a Cyrus 6 with it. Then got the Promitheus and thought it a very worthwhile improvement.

Put another way: going from C6 to C6 as pre/Quad 909 showed a decent improvement; replacing the C6 with the Promitheus was (probably - with hindsight) a bigger difference.

russ abbott - royds brother wrote:

Using a big sansui reciever which has the option of pre/power.

All though the the sanui hs bags of power on tap 240watts i have the op to buy a quad power cheap.

Hi,

The Sansui was more like 120w per channel. (8ohm Stereo)

http://www.audioarchives.net/sag8000info.htm

I like the eBay type rigmarole that it is a good amplifier. Personally I would say average to competent, with it being an early 80's design no doubt age affecting performance.

Manual,

http://safemanuals.com/user-guide-instructions-owner-manual/SANSUI/G-801-_E

Personally I would not bother splitting the pre or power section and using with an additional pre or power component, spending the money on a service or check up and switch/contact cleaning may be better. Enjoy it for what it is.

(The general consensus would be that these old type receiver's and amplifiers have poorer pre amp sections than power)

How do you find the bass performance of the old Sansui with the Rogers?

Steve

Yeah thats the one tb.

Have only just got the studio 1s today after doing a swap.

The sansui is in perfect working order and sounds very good.

For 28 years old it sounds fine to these ears.

Maybe not the detail as some of the newer amps but is more than good enough for the time being.

Just had a quick blast and the bass is very deep from the rogersnot super tight but not to woolly or flabby.

The mid to highs are very good just played walk on the wild side which sounded superb.;-)

A novel thing is having tone controls which i've not had for years ,also has mid as well as bass/treble.

These amps would cost a fortune if they made them today.

Even listening to vinyl again.

For what this system has cost it's pretty damn good.:^

Admin

My bro in laws first amp was a Sansui amp....he's spent the next twenty years searching for that sound again. :cool:

Sansui did some very serious kit in those days which would still stand up well against today's middle range hifi.

If it's a Quad 405 mk1 you are considering - don't bother, slow and boring. If it's a Quad 405 mk2 then it may be an improvement as it is much more lively than the original.

IMO :)

If times is hard - stay with the Sansui! :^

I still hanker for a similar type of amp (though Rotel not Sansui) I had many years ago, if I saw one mint and had the money in my pocket I would quite happily buy and use such myself. They can certainly bring back the enjoyment factor of listening to music.

Regarding the Rogers, I found them to be better suited to amplifiers with dry and very controlled bass, Bryston, Classe, Krell for example. They had a reputation for being slightly overblown (underdamped?) in the bass which I think such amplifiers addressed. I never thought it that bad, compaired to most speakers they seemed to offer texture and weight to bass notes. I wonder how they would sound with Class D amplification?

What condition are your Studio 1's in?

Duvet wrote:

My bro in laws first amp was a Sansui amp....he's spent the next twenty years searching for that sound again. :cool:

Don't you mean the last 20 years :dunno: or does he have a time machine?;-)

Sastusbulbas wrote:

I still hanker for a similar type of amp (though Rotel not Sansui) I had many years ago, if I saw one mint and had the money in my pocket I would quite happily buy and use such myself. They can certainly bring back the enjoyment factor of listening to music.

Regarding the Rogers, I found them to be better suited to amplifiers with dry and very controlled bass, Bryston, Classe, Krell for example. They had a reputation for being slightly overblown (underdamped?) in the bass which I think such amplifiers addressed. I never thought it that bad, compaired to most speakers they seemed to offer texture and weight to bass notes. I wonder how they would sound with Class D amplification?

What condition are your Studio 1's in?

very very good.:^

almost unmarked and all units look like new.