Due to a configuration issue, PayPal are currently configuring some changes for us therefore PayPal’s gateway is temporarily unavailable. We have set up a safe alternative gateway called Stripe so please use this for your Super Wammer subscription upgrades. Many thanks. Tech Team

The SEARCH function is currently under review due to a large number of old unstructured posts. This may take up to 1-2 days to complete. Alternatively, please use Google search; for eg: amplifier site:hifiwigwam.com/forum/

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
istari knight

Sony CDP-X3000ES Mods

31 posts in this topic

Well, in the grand scheme of things we can all come together and offer some objective views occasionally. I made the decision to keep the TA-F3000 amp (I bought Craigs and then sourced a cosmetically perfect one when I decided to stick with it). I also owned the original Haydn's after Bourney (rear ported) and did put the 2 together. The amp simply couldn't drive them, it sounded very restrained and obviously struggles with relatively insensitive speakers. My first one went to Mattg who owned the Sony speakers the 3000 series was marketed with and reported a great synergy. I myself got Minstrels to work well with this amp, and more recently Rega R1's.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cable Monkey wrote:

Well, in the grand scheme of things we can all come together and offer some objective views occasionally. I made the decision to keep the TA-F3000 amp (I bought Craigs and then sourced a cosmetically perfect one when I decided to stick with it). I also owned the original Haydn's after Bourney (rear ported) and did put the 2 together. The amp simply couldn't drive them, it sounded very restrained and obviously struggles with relatively insensitive speakers. My first one went to Mattg who owned the Sony speakers the 3000 series was marketed with and reported a great synergy. I myself got Minstrels to work well with this amp, and more recently Rega R1's.

:notworthy: Thats very valuable, thank you.

May i ask what size your room is & how loud you listen on average ? Just my room is only 10x8 so most systems reach their peak volume rather quickly - Most of my listening is lowish level anyway....

If the 3000 is quite simply gutless im either looking at the P2 & Haydn's or the 3000 & some high(er) efficiency speakers.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:^ lovely looking

Apparantly, the drivers are made out of an experimental plastic originally designed for fizzy pop bottles but it was unsuitable for that use & sold to vienna.....

Hmmm as far as i can see they have moved the port.....thats all.

Cant say i fancy paying an extra 750 for a front port instead of a rear one lol

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

James, My biggest regret was selling my little TAF-3000ES, I think with easy drive standmounts 60hm upwards it will sound fine but it runs of juice when cranked hard to produce bass, I think that little amp and an active sub would be a lovely trade off due to its lack of power. You are amassing a fair amount of Sony ES gear old chap, excellent taste. You know you need a TAF-777ES though don’t you !!!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

istari knight wrote:

Cable Monkey wrote:
Well, in the grand scheme of things we can all come together and offer some objective views occasionally. I made the decision to keep the TA-F3000 amp (I bought Craigs and then sourced a cosmetically perfect one when I decided to stick with it). I also owned the original Haydn's after Bourney (rear ported) and did put the 2 together. The amp simply couldn't drive them, it sounded very restrained and obviously struggles with relatively insensitive speakers. My first one went to Mattg who owned the Sony speakers the 3000 series was marketed with and reported a great synergy. I myself got Minstrels to work well with this amp, and more recently Rega R1's.

:notworthy: Thats very valuable, thank you.

May i ask what size your room is & how loud you listen on average ? Just my room is only 10x8 so most systems reach their peak volume rather quickly - Most of my listening is lowish level anyway....

If the 3000 is quite simply gutless im either looking at the P2 & Haydn's or the 3000 & some high(er) efficiency speakers.

My room isn't that much bigger, however the problem wasn't volume it was that you could tell the amp had run out of steam and the frequency extremes and overall dynamics suffered. The amp doesn't like stress, unlike something like a Sugden that seems to thrive on stress! The amp is capable of quite a composed and refined performance into the right speakers.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, i was outbid by £2 but the golden rule of auction is never go over your limit :)

Who knows maybe its a sign i shouldn't get one :P

& Yes CJ i would love to one day own Mr Kanai's baby with its matching sacd player :cool:

I suspect i'll get a 3000es amp in the new year & use it until i can afford the PL2 then i'll just keep it as a back up ;-)

I've decided to take my Sony ES speakers to my dealers for an A/B comparison with the Haydn's as im not sure whether the "magic" i heard was the speakers or the Belle amp they were using which seemed pretty capable.....

As always , :^

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

istari knight wrote:

No, i was outbid by £2 but the golden rule of auction is never go over your limit :)

Who knows maybe its a sign i shouldn't get one :P

& Yes CJ i would love to one day own Mr Kanai's baby with its matching sacd player :cool:

I suspect i'll get a 3000es amp in the new year & use it until i can afford the PL2 then i'll just keep it as a back up ;-)

I've decided to take my Sony ES speakers to my dealers for an A/B comparison with the Haydn's as im not sure whether the "magic" i heard was the speakers or the Belle amp they were using which seemed pretty capable.....

As always , :^

James how much did the TAF3000ES go for in the end ?, the standard price is £150-200 on Epay, again the standard price I have seen the TAF-777ES on Ebay amd Forums is £400-600. As much as I have a soft spot for the 3000ES - I’d have the TAF-777ES in an instant every time when you see that price comparison.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.