Due to a configuration issue, PayPal are currently configuring some changes for us therefore PayPal’s gateway is temporarily unavailable. We have set up a safe alternative gateway called Stripe so please use this for your Super Wammer subscription upgrades. Many thanks. Tech Team

The SEARCH function is currently under review due to a large number of old unstructured posts. This may take up to 1-2 days to complete. Alternatively, please use Google search; for eg: amplifier site:hifiwigwam.com/forum/

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
istari knight

Sony CDP-X3000ES Mods

31 posts in this topic

Bourney wrote:

have you got one James?

I'll have one on its way in a couple of weeks yes :nerves:

Trying to find a happy medium between sound quality & component size, the 3000 series seems to fit the bill while looking rather swish at the same time.

Not sure if my speakers are up to the job but that's part of the fun isn't it ? I quite fancy those Vienna Haydn's actually....

Oh dear ! I'm guessing 09 is going to be filled with much more new kit to try :fly:

which Haydns?????? :) i have owned some..v nice.

I have a 3000ES at the mo, Gromit comes to collect it this weekend. i thought about teh whole tweakery thing but i arent sure if it would actually change the balance to one more like my prference of warm and slightly soft. i thought i wanted more zip which the Sony definitely gives..then i slipped my Cuddly Sugden back on and realised that was mor eto my taste, shame asthe Sonylooks soooooo cool!! :cool:

I think a couple of folks on PFM fitted Fleas to theirs, I suspect any other mods are purely cosmetic.

Bourney wrote:

which Haydns?????? :) i have owned some..v nice.

I have a 3000ES at the mo, Gromit comes to collect it this weekend. i thought about the whole tweakery thing but i aren't sure if it would actually change the balance to one more like my preference of warm and slightly soft. i thought i wanted more zip which the Sony definitely gives..then i slipped my Cuddly Sugden back on and realised that was more to my taste, shame asthe Sonylooks soooooo cool!! :cool:

Haydn Grand : http://www.viennaacoustics.at/products/haydn/haydn.php

Heard some at the dealers last week & they are magical :love:

I'm also deciding between the Sony TA-F3000ES amp & Prima Luna P2

I'm sure the P2 is better but how much better ? I dunno, gonna have to do some listening methinks :)

PS. have you tried different dac's ? there must be some warm n' soft ones about :?

Cable Monkey wrote:

I think a couple of folks on PFM fitted Fleas to theirs, I suspect any other mods are purely cosmetic.

Yeah im not too keen on ruining the designers circuits for the sake of a possible improvement that i might not even like !

I want to know more about the led mod purely because it looked so cool - nothing to do with sonics ;-)

James

I've also owned the 3000 CD, and the matching amp

I liekd the CD player, and could live with just for its looks alone

The amp, however, I was not so impressed with: I thought it was a bit puny, though it was maybe that my speakers were a bugger to drive (Dynaudio's and Proacs during the amps time chez moi)

Whilst a nice visual match, I think you coudl better with someting else

I've also had those Haydn speakers and I thought they were really rather good, esp for the price that I (and IIRC a certain box swapper from the W Mids) bought them for.

Craig wrote:

James

I've also owned the 3000 CD, and the matching amp

I liekd the CD player, and could live with just for its looks alone

The amp, however, I was not so impressed with: I thought it was a bit puny, though it was maybe that my speakers were a bugger to drive (Dynaudio's and Proacs during the amps time chez moi)

Whilst a nice visual match, I think you coudl better with someting else

I've also had those Haydn speakers and I thought they were really rather good, esp for the price that I (and IIRC a certain box swapper from the W Mids) bought them for.

Thanks for the info :^

The 3000 stuff seems to hold its value so i could always try one & move it on without a loss if its unsuitable.

How much do the Haydn's go for on the s/h market ? IIRC they are £1000 new (give or take £100)