Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
horace

Xbox 360 or Wii?

22 posts in this topic

My kids are 10, 7 and 3.The youngest isn't quite old enough to use our existing consoles (Xbox and PS2) but his big brothers are becoming pretty good....

We have (I think) already excluded the PS3 from the equation - I know some say you get a lot for the money, but £300....not too bothered about bluray (we'd never get our turn anyway.....).

So, Xbox 360 or Wii?

Xbox 360 is cheaper (though I believe there wil be extra stuff to buy?). I thinksome places are selling it for £129 including a game.

Wii is more costly (looks fun though).

Some info as to the basic capabilities of each console, upgradeability (and cost thereof) would be handy.

Bearing in mind the one we choose will need to have a range of games suitable for all ages (mostly kids, but I'm not averse to the odd session of wanton destruction),which would you recommend and why?

Oh, and pointers towards the best deals on offer at the moment would be helpful.

Basically, Santa is a bit out of touch and needs a helping hand.....

Cheers

Martin

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yo marty , i have an xbox and am a HUGE fan , i use it daily online and off but.... i have to say , given the age of your little uns it has to be the wii . the xbox is generally aimed at the older market and the games reflect this there is a wealth of shooting / war / srvival horror games but not so many kids / party games and what there is , i think is done better on the wii

so there,s my tuppence

cheers the bat

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a console to be used by all ages, I agree, Wii is the one to go for. There are loads of games aimed at all ages - you don't get the graphics of the xbox, but we find it's a much more sociable experience to go bowling etc, and not sit in a darkened room shooting stuff...

Accessories get expensive though. You really need an extra controller at a minimum (£30-odd), and the WiiFit is another £70 if you can find one.

You can also attach a wireless keyboard and browse the web, read the news/weather etc. via wi-fi

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Batman/Aphex Twin. :^

I have an Xbox 360 and very much enjoy the games (tend to be first person shooters, sports sims and driving games)which are certainly aimed towards the older gamer.

Pro-Evo Soccer 2009 and Command and Conquer Red Alert 3 are proving to be great fun at the moment....

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks chaps. All things being equal,I might be tempted by the Wii, but it is more expensive (and all those extra doodads - steering wheels, fit boards etc, will put the cost up even more). The graphics aren't that great either (not that I'm an expert).

The selection of available games is a factor, but tbh, my two eldest mostly play sports simulations and stuff like Star Wars lego, so maybe not too much of an issue. The youngest tends to play cbeebies stuff on the web.

Amazon are currently offering the 60gb 360 with wireless pack (extra wireless controller plus Lego Indiana Jones and Kung Fu Panda) plus the new Pinata game and free HDMI lead for less than £200, which looks good.....

The clincher might be that we have quite a few xbox games - are these playable on a 360?

Deals on the Wii don't seem nearly as generous.

Santa has some decisions to make.

Cheers

Martin

PS I seem to remember reading that the original xbox can be used in a music/streaming context - how does that work?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My kids are 9 (boy one) and 10 (girl one) and I have just got them a wii but they have the older style xbox which is still used to much in my book.

With the wii at least they will by active as apposed to just sitting.

BP

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just brought a wii off dixons online for xmas.

There doing about the best deals we could find.

Would have prefered ps3 for my golf games but had to think of the kids.;-)

Had a quick go the other day and it looks pretty good.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stupinder wrote:

Buy them some chickens and have done -then they'll be outside all the time hypnotizing them (No really!) and teaching them to do mad stuff leaving you alone in the house to listen to tunes.

:D

Ilike that idea.

Eggs andentertainment.

And it would REALLY upset the neighbours.

Martin

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Gadget Show Today on Fiver from 20:00 to 21:00

Christmas Special Jason Bradbury spends a virtual Christmas Day playing with the Microsoft Xbox 360. Might be worth a watch.:dunno:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have both a 360 and a Wii. My 8 Year old prefers the Wii by a country mile, and TBH as a family we find the Wii to be far more fun. The Xbox is only used for driving sims now and not much else. Sure the graphics are great, but the Wii is much more entertaining.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hawk wrote:

We have both a 360 and a Wii. My 8 Year old prefers the Wii by a country mile, and TBH as a family we find the Wii to be far more fun. The Xbox is only used for driving sims now and not much else. Sure the graphics are great, but the Wii is much more entertaining.

personally i find wii,s to be the devils work when it comes to gaming but as previously stated for horaces clan they would be ideal.

xbox 360for serious gamers:rockin:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

batman wrote:

Hawk wrote:
We have both a 360 and a Wii. My 8 Year old prefers the Wii by a country mile, and TBH as a family we find the Wii to be far more fun. The Xbox is only used for driving sims now and not much else. Sure the graphics are great, but the Wii is much more entertaining.

personally i find wii,s to be the devils work when it comes to gaming but as previously stated for horaces clan they would be ideal.

xbox 360for serious gamers:rockin:

My vote goes to the Wii.

And serious gamers play on boxes they've put together themselves :P

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bryfiero wrote:

batman wrote:
Hawk wrote:
We have both a 360 and a Wii. My 8 Year old prefers the Wii by a country mile, and TBH as a family we find the Wii to be far more fun. The Xbox is only used for driving sims now and not much else. Sure the graphics are great, but the Wii is much more entertaining.

personally i find wii,s to be the devils work when it comes to gaming but as previously stated for horaces clan they would be ideal.

xbox 360for serious gamers:rockin:

My vote goes to the Wii.

And serious gamers play on boxes they've put together themselves :P

no , their called GEEKS :cool:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.