Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
russ abbott - royds broth

Classic audio of the future?????

14 posts in this topic

What will be the classics in 30 years time that will compare to the ones of the 60s 70s.

The 1st ipod?

Squeezebox?

Will any decks,amps or speakers be looked back on in 2038 as much as Quad esl - lp12s- ls3/5as - garrard 301s - kans etc.....

Yomanze wrote:

None of it will be working...

I think that's an important point.

If you look at those yesteryear classics, they were all fairly mainstream at the time so made in reasonable quantity ... something that is made in tiny quantities is unlikely to be classic it will just beincredibly rare. Genuine classics are things you stand a reasonable chance of acquiring if you wanted to.

Also these things are (compared to todays stuff) fairly agricultural in design and relatively easy to fix even DIY (okay Quad ESL aren't so easy, but they are fixable). Much of today's mainstream stuff is neither built to last that long or designed to be easily fixed.

I dunno maybe some turntables and speakers might make the grade.

Amps will be non-starters unless they are Class D, nothing else will be allowed by the Green Police.

Actually who knows where computer technology will be in 30 years time, you might be listening to a 3D holographic image of the band of your choice playing in your living room, no wires no kit, just a perfect projection!

Tel wrote:

Actually who knows where computer technology will be in 30 years time, you might be listening to a 3D holographic image of the band of your choice playing in your living room, no wires no kit, just a perfect projection!

That sounds ghastly

Uncle Ants wrote:

Tel wrote:

That sounds ghastly

It might sound great! (and there might be an off switch for the hologram) :)

Tel wrote:

Uncle Ants wrote:
Tel wrote:

That sounds ghastly

It might sound great! (and there might be an off switch for the hologram) :)

er ... no.That isn't what I meant. The idea sounds ghastly.

Anything by Croft - they should all be fixable ;)

There are probably quite a few loudspeakers that will be regarded as future classics. The Dynaudio Contour 1.1 and the Wilson Benesch Arc come to mind. The Zu Druid - maybe. The Tannoy Prestige range perhaps. The Jamo R909. JBL K2.

Some of the better built disc spinners like Esoterics might make it.

Anything by EAR, Sonus Faber, Spendor, upscale Dynaudio or Chord Electronics. I also think Promitheus will do well in retrospect because they will need so little maintenance.

I think Shahinian Arks and Obelisks can probably be added to the list. Maybe Duevels too. I suspect quite a few Lowther-equipped speakers might make classic status as well as a few other modern single driver horn-loaded speakers. Not sure which ones at this point though.