Leonard Smalls

DVD Recommendations

1,184 posts in this topic

As I'm a member of the Amazon DVD rental thing I'm constantly on the lookout for decent films to put on my list...

So any recommndations? I like fillums with some intelligence, bit leftfield perhaps, and as little schmaltz as possible - frinstance I watched "Big Daddy" recently with Adam Sandler and almost threw up due to it's saccharin-sweetness.

A smashing film I watched recently was "Dead Man's Shoes" - a Shane Meadows film about an avenging angel in Matlock (bit like "High Plains Drifter" in Derbyshire, but more gruesome and lots of swearing in a docu-drama style)

Seen the Green Mile, and have put Last Great Wilderness on the list..

It's not as tedious as "Morvern Caller" though, is it?

Leonard Smalls wrote:

Seen the Green Mile, and have put Last Great Wilderness on the list..

It's not as tedious as "Morvern Caller" though, is it?

Never seen Morvern Caller Leonard, so I can't comment. If you liked Dead Man's Shoes this one is worth a go.

Couldn't be more different from the Ballard novel/Cronenberg film of the same name!

On the list as well...

I agree, Dead Man's Shoes is excellent! If you like violence and dark humour you'll enjoy this Kitashi Kitano movie:

Brother:

1083833153.jpg

:^

Another 'left field' movie. Very thought-provoking (but not so violent). What would you do if there was no tomorrow? Excellent film.

lastnight.jpg

:^

Here's a great resource for movie-buffs:

http://www.imdb.com

Last Night isn't available on Amazon, but Brother's on the list...

The question is, is it as good as the best US Yakuza film, American Yakuza 2? And is it better than Woo's HK offerings?

Don't think I can cope with all the 9000 hours of Heimat - the other problem is my mum loves it so as a rebellious youth there's no way I'm going to sit through all that Germanity!

And ScreenSelect and Lovefilm look good - I'll see how Amazon do for the moment though as they're cheaper and I'm an old skinflint...

Motorcycle Diaries tonight, then next week it's an Ealing Fest with Kind Hearts and Coronets and Whisky Galore, plus the joy of Jacques Tati in "Traffic".

I'm telling ya! Brother is outstanding!

Haven't seen American Yakuza 2 but I'd say that Brother is different to John Woo's offerings. A bit more subtle but, like Woo,Kitano has been compared to the French director Jean-Pierre Melville. (very cool)

Check out this great movie from 1967. 'Le Samurai':

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062229/

le_samourai_rgb.jpg

Jezzer wrote:

Check out this great movie from 1967. 'Le Samurai':

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062229/

Sint... And absolutely nothing happens in it, apart from standing around long coat grey hat smoking a cigarette etc..

If "Brother" is like that but with violence I may get quickly bored, and my Mrs will supply the drama using scissors and a pick axe handle.

BTW, American Yakuza 2 was very "cool" - a forerunner of the Tarantino hip murders school of film-making. Or perhaps I was less discriminating in those days! There is a great Elvis impersonator sub-plot though..

http://www.screenselect.co.uk/visitor/product/9532.html

As we only watch 4 dvds a month Amazon works out about £4 cheaper than t'others!

And mebbe I'll give Heimat a try, though it's difficult settling down to 2 hours never mind 16 (and isn't that just the first series?).

Incredibles is already on the list..

I must admit, Brother is a little slow. But worthwhile and certainly at a faster pace than Le Samurai (which isn't difficult come to think of it).

Shame Last Night isn't available cos it's one of the best films my mates and I have seen in ages.

From the reviews I've read "Last Night" seems like it's incredibly depressing - is there any humour or is it all black like the night?