Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Riverdog

Guns N' Roses/Chinese Democracy

60 posts in this topic

Injector wrote:

antonbhoy wrote:
It's taken me a couple of listens, but it's winning me over. :rockin:

Will there be a propper tour to support this album?

yesthere may be a proper one. ;-)

Just getting the bloke on stage at allwould be an achievement in itself.

But a 'tour' where he 'sings' on a 'stage'...

:rofl:

kingsxfan wrote:

Polarbear wrote:
Who's in the current line up, I am sure its in the little booklet but have you tried to read it?

This week its:-

Axl Rose, Skuzzlebutt from South Park, Mr Bean, Sponge Bob and one of the Tweenies.

Considering past members have been addressed as 'Slash' and 'Buckethead', and a present serving musician is known as 'Bumblefoot', your above choice isnt too far removed from reality anyway! :D

TIU wrote:

Depends if you like American standing on mountain top playing a guitar solo with wind blowing long poodle hair power ballads.

I can stand it sometimes but have to be in that mood. The short samples I heard in iTunes sound ok.

Nah, this isn't a 1987 era Whitesnake type album....

It's not Rose Tattoo mated with early Aerosmith that ended up being the Appetite album either. Some bits remind me of Queensryche, some Queen, some Linkin Park, can even hear some Steely Dan in there too....a real musical stew, topped off with some very decent guitar work....

Riverdog wrote:

If you can bring yourself to get over Axl's apparent megalomania and that entire debate about whether this is Guns N' Roses or Axl's Allstars, it is an amazing album... all the good bits of UYI I & II on one disc. Easily my album of the year.

Yeah, fair shout, best rock album of the year anyway....Metallica probably taking second place out of the big 3 released in 2008 (G&R, Metallica, and AC/DC) Shame the sound quality overshadowed some damn good tunes on Death Magnetic...

Mind you the Marillion box set just out would hit the top five....

he's a fucking nut, but that kill switch is awesome, amazingly even though I despise the type of shredding that makes up most of his playing I can actually listen to him. where as cnuts like Malmsteen make me want to go out and punch somebody in the face.

Matt J wrote:

he's a fucking nut, but that kill switch is awesome, amazingly even though I despise the type of shredding that makes up most of his playing I can actually listen to him. where as cnuts like Malmsteen make me want to go out and punch somebody in the face.

Just getting into his solo stuff, great stuff. His later stuff definitely sounds a million miles away from Malmsteen's brand of guitar masturbation. The man has Tim Ripper Owen singing on the latest record too... :sick:

heard a few songs on 6 music this week and was very pleasantly suprised , will buy in due course ...

I was expecting this album to be very average, if not crap and I'm no fanboy - AC/DC are probably my favourite band and I thought their latest release was mediocre. Same with Queen, their latest was expected to be crap and boy was it! So, back to Chinese Democracy...I wouldn't say this is good just because I have a soft spot for the old G'n'R, I'm saying it's a bloody fantastic album because it really is. Easily my favourite release of the last umpteen years. :shock:

Dreadful. Got bored half way through track one, gave up. Just as awful as all their other stuff.

meninblack wrote:

Dreadful. Got bored half way through track one, gave up. Just as awful as all their other stuff.

You gave up on an album because you didn't like track no.1 upon first hearing it? :?

Jeez MiB, your taste (?)is dreadful. This is one of the best albums I've heard in years and you slate it, yet happily listen to stuff I wouldn't touch with a bargepole. :P