Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rob

Turntable solution please!!

18 posts in this topic

Have broached this subject tentatively once before but before I go down the road of changing my Wilson Benesch Full Circle I need to know that there is something out there worth changing it for.

Essentially the location of my hifi rack is behind a sofa and so if playing records I have to climb on the sofa, remove the clear cover and then leave it off while a record is playing. Seeing this pretty spinning machine has more than caught the attention of my daughter who immediately follows suit and tries to get to the deck. This means that I cannot leave the room for a second in case she decides to “play†with the turntable and thus making her Daddy cry.

I am looking for an alternative of similar quality that has a lift up lid that I can put back down and at least offer some protection to the deck.

Don’t anything fiddly to set up or maintain, must be below £1,000 with arm/cartridge.

Any recommendations?

Cheers,

Rob

There aren't all that many really good turntables with lids any more - are you prepared to buy second hand?

So a TT with a lift-up lid?

Xerxes, Orbe or Gyro, LP12 (don't shoot the messenger!!) or maybe try to find an old Voyd or Audio Note.

I'd find myself a good used (or even brand new - they're not megabucks) SL1210, either get J7 to re-wire the arm or perhaps go for an AO RB250 with the OL arm mount plate. Perhaps then have a chat with these guys about a psu etc. :)

Yeah, Gyrodec, Roksan or LP12 - sorry, I realise that there are still decks with lids - was thinking of the whole £1000 all in issue. Definately buy second hand.

I'm surprised it took so long for the 1200 to be mentioned.

YNWAN wrote:

I'm surprised it took so long for the 1200 to be mentioned.

Hello

I used a Technics SL1200 for 6/7 months with standard arm and a Goldring 1042 mm. I've it recently soldand boughta Rega Planar 3 - RB300 - Linn K5 cart. The Rega trounces all over the SL1200, I paid £100 for the Rega in mint condition. I'm still looking for a clean Philips GA312 for a retro turntable project to match my Quad system....

macvisual

Dealer

I'd go gyrodeck

bigdur wrote:

I'd go gyrodeck

With all the shiny brass and aluminium? Not my first choice if trying to keep kids attention off the thing! Old fashioned wood crate is probably the best way to go tbh

Dealer

Aural Flea wrote:

bigdur wrote:
I'd go gyrodeck

With all the shiny brass and aluminium?  Not my first choice if trying to keep kids attention off the thing! Old fashioned wood crate is probably the best way to go tbh

Heavy cover on them though mate

bigdur wrote:

Aural Flea wrote:
bigdur wrote:
I'd go gyrodeck

With all the shiny brass and aluminium? Not my first choice if trying to keep kids attention off the thing! Old fashioned wood crate is probably the best way to go tbh

Heavy cover on them though mate

Fair enough - I was just thinking of the initial 'magpie' effect attracting kiddy attention. Let's face it, the little buggers are stronger than you think and can do a lot of damage in very little time (voice of experience)

Certainly one of the first things I would do in the OP's position, is to ensure

a. kiddywinks can't reach the tt from the back of the sofa

b. kiddywinks aren't tempted to stretch over the back of the sofa to reach, then chance a head-first tumble in the intervening gap

Although, that said, once tried, never forgotten :zip: