Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Davewhityetagain

Amps are like buses

20 posts in this topic

Amps are like buses, do not see any decent ones for sale for ages. then loads come along :)

Just seen a brand new valve amplifier RRP 3k going for about £800 its brand new and legit :cool:its not one I am after or have even thought of buying

but at that price :D

Share the location of said device for the benefit of fellow members then David. :flasher:

Biscuit wrote:

PS SCM, I'm booked in to listen to the Stingray next week, will be my first valve experience :love::oj:

Biscuit, please keep me informed, bet you buy it :shock::cool:! Where are you demming to? What are you replacing?

PS Once a valve fan, there's no going back :oj:

*St Neots is just down the road, so I'm going to demo it along with some Pathos and Eastern Electric kit. Quite fancy some valves tbh, and apparenltly my new cdp was designed to be used with valves, so I thought I'd try some out. Going to be upgrading from a MF X80, so quite a big jump :shock::love:

*(high-fidelity audio)

Wow that is a big jump, I'd be interested to what you thought of the Pathos as I too demoed this when I was amp hunting, found the midrange veilled but bass kicked ass, the Stingray had good bass too, though not as deep but far better midrange and a lot more musical. Very helpful company too, Manley.

Biscuit wrote:

my new cdp was designed to be used with valves, :shock::love:

Biscuit,

Is that so? I wasn't aware that there were CDPs designed to be used solely with valves? Loudspeakers, yes! CDPs, err?? So which CDP do you use?

Enjoy the musicâ„¢

Lawrie.:D

well, theoretically it was tweaked by KI to integrate well with david price's valve amplification (whatever that may be). Thats what the blurb said anyway :sw:

edit its a marantz cd63ki dp (well will be when i get it back, its off at the company doing the metal work at the minute i think, as i got another note through the post from a random company saying they had recieved my cdp :shock:)

Biscuit wrote:

well, theoretically it was tweaked by KI to integrate well with david price's valve amplification (whatever that may be). Thats what the blurb said anyway :sw:

edit its a marantz cd63ki dp (well will be when i get it back, its off at the company doing the metal work at the minute i think, as i got another note through the post from a random company saying they had recieved my cdp :shock:)

Biscuit,

I don't know who David Price is but this sounds like marketing crap to me. I can understand adding valves to a CDP's output stage or just before the output stage but tweaking a CDP just for valve amplification sounds like a money making exercise to me. If you don't mind me asking, how much are you being charged for such work?

Enjoy the musicâ„¢

Lawrie.:D

David Price, Lawrie is one of the HFW writers, he writes some quite sensible comments & he writes some “fairies in the garden†type comments. And I mean fairies in the garden type comments.

Good to see you around bro. Have you seen the new NAD Universal player called the M55 ? Right up your street for a universal player, give me a shout if you get a listen on the continent before it arrives in the UK.

nad34gv.jpg

its £1000 Lawrie, but there are a few other tweaks as well. It probably is marketing crap, but the mods have been very limited runs, so I wouldn't see much point in making stuff up, especially since KI himself has put his name on the line. This of course is me being naive and defending my investment though :lwink:

DP doesn't half come out with some crap though, I agree with you on that cj!