Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Skruf

New World on cheap

8 posts in this topic

Have just been playing a copy of Dvorak's New World Symphony played by the Chech Phil conducted by Karel Ancerl on the Supraphon lable..........BLOODY HELL!!!!

This must be one of the most dynamic perfomances on record I've heard anywhere!

This is made all the better as this slab of vinyl exitment on cost £2.00 from Oxfam.:oj:

God bless Oxfam. Think I will pop down to my local branch now to see what they've got.

The Czech Phil can be an excellent orchestra, especially with czech music. Their Má Vlast (Bedřich Smetana) with Mackerras is great too. (cd Supraphon SU 3465-2 031)

MacKerras has a great understanding of Czech music.

There often are lovely at lovely prices.

Just an update,went back this week, and found a box set of dvorak late string quartets for a fiver! Seems like someone's getting rid of their collection.

Try and get as much Janacek by the Czech PO with Ancerl conducting as you can. Even better than Mackerras. This combination was the first major European orchestra I ever heard, back in 1960, and I wondered then - can anything be better than this? Now that I've heard most of the rest I'm still sure that the answer is NO!

Most of Ancerl's recordings were reissued by Supraphon in a gold covered Ancerl edition over the last few years. Try & hear his Shostakovich- particularly 1 & 5. Sadly I don't think he made any recordings after he defected to the West as Supraphon recordings, while acceptable, were no match at that time for the best of Decca or RCA.