In the wake of restoring approx 250,000 garbled posts (having remote URL images) since forum migration, rebuilding of forum content followed by search indexing is currently under process. During this process (which may take 1-2 days to complete), the search function may not work properly. We apologize for the inconvenience. Alternatively, you may use Google search; for eg: amplifier site:hifiwigwam.com/forum/

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
icehockeyboy

Squeezebox owners, have you thought this too?

63 posts in this topic

Having got mine yesterday, and by some amazing coincidence found how to transfer the ripped cd's, it has got me thinking.

With a device as clever as this, im actually thinking, do I need my cd player anymore?

I just love the thing to bits, as Gazjam said, its put the fun back into music, and its just so convenient, how did I ever manage without it????

[b]icehockeyboy wrote: [/b][quote]Having got mine yesterday, and by some amazing coincidence found how to transfer the ripped cd's, it has got me thinking.

With a device as clever as this, im actually thinking, do I need my cd player anymore?

I just love the thing to bits, as Gazjam said, its put the fun back into music, and its just so convenient, how did I ever manage without it????
[/quote]

Too be honest, I don't own a Squeezebox but opted for iTunes and Airport Express. My CDP was made redundant quite some time ago. My laptop is portable, wireless, so I can be anywhere in the house and control what music I have on in my lounge. I have all my CD's ripped in lossless and it sounds ok to my ears.

The upside is its one less box to worry about and I've been able to put money into the other bits of my kit.

Told you you'd like it Ice!:^

I haven't got rid of my CDP - sometimes I like to have the physical interaction of selecting a disc loading it etc but I certainly have considered selling it (them :whistle:)

Are you feeding it's dig out through that rather tasty DAC of yours?

Cheers
Dave

[b]DB wrote: [/b][quote]Told you you'd like it Ice!:^

I haven't got rid of my CDP - sometimes I like to have the physical interaction of selecting a disc loading it etc but I certainly have considered selling it (them :whistle:)

Are you feeding it's dig out through that rather tasty DAC of yours?

Cheers
Dave
[/quote]

Certainly am Dave, its sounding rather good!

Im ripping in Windows Media Audio Lossless at present, but when im a little more daring, ill try a different format, but for now im ripping like its going out of fashion!

Glad you're enjoying the SB Ice, :^

I saw your "which format?" thread and I agree with the suggestion, for anyone not immediately comfortable with the techie aspects, of using WMP or iTunes for ripping but I'd make a suggestion - don't go ahead and rip all your CDs this way just yet, get a good few ripped so that you can enjoy Squeezy but take a break and try one of the rippers which will do flac - there's a real long term advantage to using the open format of flac as it's so easy to swap from one hardware platform to another with.

I use EAC with autoflac but readily accept that setting it up is a bit of a pain, I've just downloaded ripstation and it looks to me like it would be a much better bet for anyone less techie and to be honest had it been available at the time I started a much better bet for me too! I'd encourage you to take a look before the task of re-ripping becomes so monumental as to put you off completely!

Cheers
Dave

It is a great bit of kit, and sensational value for money.:^

I still have one for background music downstairs, but after much messing around with DACs, jitter boxes etc, I went back to CD- though admittedly toone that cost 30 times as much:shock:

[b]darrenm wrote: [/b][quote]Cd is dead[/quote]
Ironically, though, because legal downloads are so crap CD is still probably the best way to buy your music. Even if the disks then gather dust :dunno:

darrenm wrote:
[quote]Cd is dead[/quote]:rofl: