Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
audioboy

The Velvet Undergound

19 posts in this topic

Admin

Andy Warhol is thought of as one of those seminal albums that you must own. I have but only three tracks really tick my boxes but as the album can be had for £6 it won't damage your pocket if you don't like it. They were pretty wacked out of it when making the album and it shows imho. Transformer by Lou Reed is a far more accessible piece of work as Wiggers says and though Bowie gets alot of the plaudits as producer the late lamented Mick Ronson deserves huge Kudos for his input

Transformers is a stunning album great shout chaps, the best musical direction after VU for me is LR, unless you are a JJ Cale fan (I have never really hooked into JJC), I would also add Lou Reeds : New York Tales to the list, my perosonal favorite of the mans.

JJC - JJ Cale (Part of VU)

LR - Lou Reed

VU Velvet Underground

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000002LGA/qid=1140475098/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_11_1/202-0438264-9811005

B000002LGA.02._OU02_PIuk-r-fp-699,BottomRight,10,10_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Romeo & Juliet, Dirty Boluevard are 2 songs that are all time favourites of Lou Reeds.

Admin

Yep its a great album but to my eternal shame when i'm asked one of these stupid name your top ten singles i always forget Perfect Day:oops::doh:. I'm such a Klutz

cjr wrote:

...unless you are a JJ Cale fan (I have never really hooked into JJC), .

erm. Don't you mean John Cale a man who's getting better and more ascerbic with age and still refrshingly avant garde, rather than the MORJJ Cale a man guilty of the unforgivable sin of writing the godawful (IMHO) Ccocaine.

IHaveNoNaim wrote:

cjr wrote:
...unless you are a JJ Cale fan (I have never really hooked into JJC), .

erm. Don't you mean John Cale a man who's getting better and more ascerbic with age and still refrshingly avant garde, rather than the MORJJ Cale a man guilty of the unforgivable sin of writing the godawful (IMHO) Ccocaine.

IHNN

I thought they were the same guy. Ie Claption also does a cover of "Travelling Light" on Reptile, and its a John Cale song. Maybe I am getting my wires crossed up here.

Yep. Velvet Underground & Nico and Lou Reed's Transformer. Bang on the money.

Velvet Underground & Nico (the banana album) is an essential part of any self-respecting rock collection - IMO, natch.

Songs for Drella - ditto.

Loaded & The Velvet Underground are good & contain such classics as Pale Blue Eyes, Sweet Jane, etc. If you like noise, check out White Light, White Heat, esp Sister Ray.

Transformer is OK, but is pop frippery compared to The Velvets or even Berlin (feel the depth of Lou's angst) or New York - both good purchases.

John Cale = JJ Cale??????? Puh-lease! Wake up at the back there!

And for the masochists out there (or Testy), how about Metal Machine Music - a contract filler to piss off his record company.

Boxer

boxer wrote:

John Cale = JJ Cale??????? Puh-lease! Wake up at the back there!

Boxer I would note that I know who John Cale is (trust me), I know not of the JJ Cale chap but assumed it was the same man that wrote “Travelling Light†and I “wrongly†assumed that was John Cale who had written it, hence calling him JJ Cale. I stand corrected that JJ Cale is not J Cale (gawd Im confused) :

http://www.rosebudus.com/cale/Covers.html

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/artist/glance/-/42543/102-6575293-0804939gives a list of albums.

In terms of proper albums, there aren't really that many.

'White Light, White Heat' is very noisy and experimental in places and you might not like it. Unless you like noisy, experimentalthings.

'The Velvet Underground' (their third LP) is not noisy at all. Some gorgeous songs. If you prefer more mellow things, check this one out.

If you don't enjoy these or the first 'banana' album then give up, else you might want to check out 'Loaded', and some of the interesting odds and sods LPs such as 'VU' etc.

The Velvet Underground are, perhaps, the 'coolest' band ever and certainly massively influential.

Lou Reed's 'Berlin' is also excellent. And John Cale is a personal favourite of mine and has a very rich back catalogue of wonderful albums 'Paris 1919', 'Fear', 'Slow Dazzle', 'Hobo Sapiens' etc etc.