• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
doctorjuggles

Time to build a system rather than 3 good parts

33 posts in this topic

same experience as i have had with the Auditoriums and the Tube Tech Unisis. they seem to favour a sweet valve amp.

Very fine cd player there. You'll need a high end amp to partner it with. I'd suggest a used Simaudio Moon i5 - it is without a doubt the best integrated I have owned - it's like a Krell KAV400xi (which I've owned twice!) but smoother and with more detail... Plenty of reviews of the Moon i5 on the net.

I've owned a pair of Totem Arros and I couldn't get on with them at the time. Sounded bright with my Naim kit. But then again they might sound better with smoother electronics.

Given your budget and the partnering equipment, I'd consider getting Totems higher up the range. The Totems are fun but they aren't that transparent and the treble isn't the smoothest IME (and given that they're both excellent-soundingCanadian brands a lot of Simaudio owners are Totem owners....)

Blimey...experience, taste or hearsay?

Well sticking firmly to the former, your brief suggests the kind of sound I might enjoy myself. At £1000 per component, I think the Puresound A30 is a very fine valve amp, and probably without competition until you double the cost. You will then get a little warmth, masses of detail, plenty punch, but above all, swet musicality (IMO). Speakers to match? No I'd not argue over LV's, fine as they are, but rather look at either something from PMC, Triangle or possibly Rega. I sort of imagine that these will all put some kick and laughter back into the system.

How about a Bel Canto Evo2i. I had one about a year ago. It worked really well with my B&W 805s, very smooth and effortless.

As for Totems try the Sttaf - supposed to be quite a step up from the Arros.

Also Proac D15s and B&W 805s both fit the budget.

"get rid of the opus"

Oh please!! - what and buy a chord - give me a break.

Have to agree on valves though, whether in a pre or power - the Opus IMO works much better with valves in the chain.

philip

beeroclock wrote:

"get rid of the opus"

Oh please!! - what and buy a chord

:) I am saying get rid of the opus NOT buy a chord

the opus has so much wrong with it, they could not get the teac slot drive transport to work so bang in a korean DVD drive and did not bother to sort out the buttons on the unit :roll:

you cant even see them when the tray is open

best thing about that player is the box it comes in

Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES, second hand. Lovely things that do everything well. There's a pair right now on HFFS...

Amp: Sugden A21a or Puresound A30 would work well with the Harbs and would be near your budget even at their new price. But you owe it to yourself to try for JB's Accuphase. It may be the baby of the range but Accu kit is all top drawer.

:stereo:

beeroclock wrote:

"get rid of the opus"

Oh please!! - what and buy a chord - give me a break.

Have to agree on valves though, whether in a pre or power - the Opus IMO works much better with valves in the chain.

philip

Hi Philip,

Not sure I agree with that statement totally. I have used an Opus 21 with a lot of amps, including some high end valve stuff.

Just listening to it with my new Karan integrated (SS) and it is sounding the best I have heard it.

Back to this thread, what about Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors partnered with something like the Puresound A30? Would make a very nice system.

Regards,

Mike

Might I suggest an Electrocompaniet PI2 amp? 100w plus of Class A loveliness. Tonally similar to the Sugden A21 but with an ability to play music rather than reproduce notes.

I have no idea about your amp or which speakers you'll end up with so my suggestion might not be any good at all!

enbee23 wrote:

Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES, second hand. Lovely things that do everything well. There's a pair right now on HFFS...

Amp: Sugden A21a or Puresound A30 would work well with the Harbs and would be near your budget even at their new price. But you owe it to yourself to try for JB's Accuphase. It may be the baby of the range but Accu kit is all top drawer.

:stereo:

Cheers!! It is a great amp even if baby of range - I had two of their amps they are really top stuff!!

I accumulated a fair pile of older Accuphase boxes and was very happy with them into my Harbeth C7s :D Great sound and build :^

IMGP0264.jpg

Then I discovered hifi forums and the boxswap-itis set in :doh: