• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Juha

Pathos Classic One

16 posts in this topic

Well, well... I thought I'd be happy with the set-up I have now. In terms of sound quality and whichever reasonable reason, I am. Really.Anyhow... I've fallen for the Pathos Classic One's looks. Yes, the looks: I've never heard the thing, justseen it on a shop's shelf a couple of times, in a hifi shop far away from my home. There are no hifi shops in thetown I live in etc. Furthermore, I've come to think to buy floor standers which look good as well. To my eyes.That, and I don't want to sacrifice a bit for the sound quality.

Thus,I'm considering to go for Classic One. And to find a pair ofspeakers to match. What I've been happy about, withUnico + DynContour 1.1, has been: realistic andinspiring sound,feel-good vibes. Soundstaging is also a major factor based on which I judge good vs. bad.Stuff I listen to consists merely of jazz, singer/songwriter stuff,folk, soul,classical, a cappella and choir music,as well as-occasionally- Iron Maiden. Pretty much the whole scene, except for hip hop, popetc. I'm considering AudioPhysics (for the looks - never heard), Dynaudio Contour s3.4 (I've always loved the Dynaudiosound - never heard s3.4), ProAc (not so much for the looks, although ok, but for anexperience on Ref8sig I once listened to for some time). I haven't ruled out the stand mounts, but... Yep, considering the looks being the driver, it's going to be floor standersnow.

I approach the HiFi WigWam community, humbly, to present a question...

Any experience on a really fantastic speaker match for Pathos Classic One? Or, more importantly, matching trials gone bad?

All comments are welcome. Especially the ones having a relation to the issue Iwaswriting about in above. :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I owned one for a short time and felt the Proac Tablette Reference 8 signatures combined with this amp really well - a smooth, chilled out sound.

One day I will get this amp again ;)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the Pathos Classic One mk2 ... said to be a significant improvement on the mk1 ... whichversion is ityou've seen?

Anyway, the Mk2 is a great amp - I used it with full-range Audiostatic electrostats - a difficult load that it drove easily. I was surprised how gutsy it was.

Definitely a bit of 'rose-tinted' valve colouration there .... I think it might suit the lean'n'mean AudioPhysic sound quite nicely. My advice would be to avoid speakers that are a bit on the soft/warm-sounding side though - probably too much of a good thing with the Pathos. I'm not a Dynaudio fan - but those who like them say they need some serious driving power to make them sing -gutsy as it is, I'm not sure the Pathos would get the best out of Dyns. I've owned ProAc Response series in the past, I'd bet they'd be a good match for the Pathos.

But to repeat myself, the Word is that the Classic One mk1 is best avoided. Mk2s come along quite often and are worth waiting for is my guess.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JANDL100 wrote:

I had the Pathos Classic One mk2 ... said to be a significant improvement on the mk1 ... whichversion is ityou've seen?

Anyway, the Mk2 is a great amp - I used it with full-range Audiostatic electrostats - a difficult load that it drove easily. I was surprised how gutsy it was.

Definitely a bit of 'rose-tinted' valve colouration there .... I think it might suit the lean'n'mean AudioPhysic sound quite nicely. My advice would be to avoid speakers that are a bit on the soft/warm-sounding side though - probably too much of a good thing with the Pathos. I'm not a Dynaudio fan - but those who like them say they need some serious driving power to make them sing -gutsy as it is, I'm not sure the Pathos would get the best out of Dyns. I've owned ProAc Response series in the past, I'd bet they'd be a good match for the Pathos.

But to repeat myself, the Word is that the Classic One mk1 is best avoided. Mk2s come along quite often and are worth waiting for is my guess.

Thanks for the advice. Since 2nd hand market is rather small here, I'll probably end up buyign a new one, which I assume is mk3. What I've seen, has probablybeen mk2 or mk3; don't know.Or is therea more new version than mk3?

Nice to see that in your opinionI'm not far off in terms of matching for neutral sound with ProAc or AudioPhysic. Anyhow, Gsrai's comment got me stand back a bit on ProAc thoughts, since overly smooth and laid back soundis not my cup of tea. Also, that's quite opposite to what Ref8sig proved to my ears a few years back (driven by Creek amp): I considered it as a ratherperky performer.

More comments,as well assuggestions are very welcome. :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Juha wrote:

Since 2nd hand market is rather small here, I'll probably end up buyign a new one, which I assume is mk3. What I've seen, has probablybeen mk2 or mk3; don't know.Or is therea more new version than mk3?

Ah - so you aren't in the UK? Where are you? - it doesn't say in your profile.

Yes, I think the mk3 is the latest and is said to be very good. I must admit I'm surprised that Gobind (gsrai) found the sound to be a bit laid back with the ProAcs and Pathos - I'd have imagined they woukld give a fairly lively sound.

If you're buying new, you should be able to dem a few different speakers with the Pathos? What makes does your Pathos dealer sell?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lo there,

PAthos Classic One MKII until the kids came along and I had to get rid due to hot valves.

It's actually a fairly lean amp so is actually best partnered with speakers with a slightly bloaty bottom end. The Dyns would be a good match but don't expect a room shaking loud sound as the Dyns like lots of power up them.

D.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Juha wrote:

Well, well... I thought I'd be happy with the set-up I have now. In terms of sound quality and whichever reasonable reason, I am. Really.Anyhow... I've fallen for the Pathos Classic One's looks. Yes, the looks: I've never heard the thing, justseen it on a shop's shelf a couple of times, in a hifi shop far away from my home. There are no hifi shops in thetown I live in etc. Furthermore, I've come to think to buy floor standers which look good as well. To my eyes.That, and I don't want to sacrifice a bit for the sound quality.

Thus,I'm considering to go for Classic One. And to find a pair ofspeakers to match. What I've been happy about, withUnico + DynContour 1.1, has been: realistic andinspiring sound,feel-good vibes. Soundstaging is also a major factor based on which I judge good vs. bad.Stuff I listen to consists merely of jazz, singer/songwriter stuff,folk, soul,classical, a cappella and choir music,as well as-occasionally- Iron Maiden. Pretty much the whole scene, except for hip hop, popetc. I'm considering AudioPhysics (for the looks - never heard), Dynaudio Contour s3.4 (I've always loved the Dynaudiosound - never heard s3.4), ProAc (not so much for the looks, although ok, but for anexperience on Ref8sig I once listened to for some time). I haven't ruled out the stand mounts, but... Yep, considering the looks being the driver, it's going to be floor standersnow.

I approach the HiFi WigWam community, humbly, to present a question...

Any experience on a really fantastic speaker match for Pathos Classic One? Or, more importantly, matching trials gone bad?

All comments are welcome. Especially the ones having a relation to the issue Iwaswriting about in above. :)

Heard it on three different speakers tannoy Glenair/Turnberry and the other was ? cant remember :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

emale wrote:

Lo there,

PAthos Classic One MKII until the kids came along and I had to get rid due to hot valves.

It's actually a fairly lean amp so is actually best partnered with speakers with a slightly bloaty bottom end. The Dyns would be a good match but don't expect a room shaking loud sound as the Dyns like lots of power up them.

D.

Try some Proac floorstanders or how about some LVs?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IgorK wrote:

Juha

I had mk3 version for about 6 months. Great amplifier and better then mk2 version. Great choice for this amp are Sonus faber Cremona Auditor speakers. Really nice sound with a big soundtage , very detailed and musical.

Here is a nice article about the combination:

http://www.pathosacoustics.com/nov03.pdf

fully right, a friend runs classic one mk3 in his tinyrecording studio with sonus faber FM2 and the combo left me scratching my head despite i'm not the biggest fan of micro boxes. other speakers he runs with it are some tannoy monitors with plastic 8" DC drivers, also excellent, but SF rocks!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

myrman wrote: Try some Proac floorstanders or how about some LVs?

The LV's would be a brilliant match, just the sort of sound to gel with the pathos and not too insensitive either.

Good shout Myrman and a combo I'll have to try one day. I did love the pathos amp when I had it, lovely little thing.

Dave

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

anubisgrau wrote:

IgorK wrote:
Juha

I had mk3 version for about 6 months. Great amplifier and better then mk2 version. Great choice for this amp are Sonus faber Cremona Auditor speakers. Really nice sound with a big soundtage , very detailed and musical.

Here is a nice article about the combination:

http://www.pathosacoustics.com/nov03.pdf

fully right, a friend runs classic one mk3 in his tinyrecording studio with sonus faber FM2 and the combo left me scratching my head despite i'm not the biggest fan of micro boxes. other speakers he runs with it are some tannoy monitors with plastic 8" DC drivers, also excellent, but SF rocks!

Anubis Hi, I've seen that report of your friend on hifi-forum.com. A lot of people are using SF and Pathos together, They reallywork good together (also Logos+ Cremonas and Guarneri+ Twin towers).

I've also seen your new speakers...man they look fantastic! I listened to Avantagarde Trios last week, and if they are similiar in sound then you are one lucky b...... :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they are better, hello!;)

(but seriously, the latest customer of oris swing from the UK was choosing between trios and swings and he preferred the swings....)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi, i managed to home dem a pathos classic one next to a unico. it was really close in terms of warmth, detail and soundstaging but the unico had more bass.this was the only diference i could hear. (using harbeth speakers) the unico was the cheaper option so i bought that. however the pathos is really nice/unusual looking and solidly built.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.