Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roll_with_it

'Nice' looking big driver speakers

40 posts in this topic

I've come to the conclusion I want bigger drivers in future.. problem is I refuse to live with some nasty looking wardrobey things in myliving room.. no matter how good they sound.

So why do they make them look so ugly??

Are there any modern-looking big speakers out there??

Preferably not astronomically priced.

There is a trade-off between cabinet volume, bass extension and efficiency.

In particular, if you want a high-efficiency speaker that does deep bass, the box needs to be HUGE. You also need one baffle which is wide enough to hold your bass driver.

It can be hard to make these big cabinets attractive. A narrow but very deep cabinet with a side-mounted bass unit is one option, eg some Audio Physik and Rega designs.

I heard some of these recently, they must have been at least 16" and not too ugly in the light veneer.

http://www.kmraudio.com/catalogue/product_info.php/cPath/22/products_id/1216

Headcoat wrote:

Bored with the Revolvers already?

I'd stick with them mate...depending on the room huge speakers may sound awful, they need space to breathe as it were.

Not bored mate, im just thinking about future. I've heard a few bigguns lately and its got me thinking :roll:

Ideally i'd like as small a cabinet as poss, but with a fairly big driver. I guess this just aint possible :?... I know Focal do the 807V stand-mounter... but lets face it, what difference is half an inch gonna make :?I doubt it would be worthwhile changing speakers for that half inch ...

roll_with_it wrote:

Ideally i'd like as small a cabinet as poss, but with a fairly big driver. I guess this just aint possible :?... I know Focal do the 807V stand-mounter... but lets face it, what difference is half an inch gonna make :?I doubt it would be worthwhile changing speakers for that half inch ...

Possible, but the trade-off is low efficiency and you'd need to change your amp.

Certainly not worth inflicting horrid Focals on yourself for that small gain in driver size!

How about the WLM Diva monitor? A 10" driver similar to a Tannoy DC, in a standmount...

DIVA_MONITOR_ZEBRANO_web.jpg

97 dB sensitivity, claimed bass response down to 32 Hz!