Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hifikrazy

My Shiny New Friend

25 posts in this topic

Well if it sounds as good as the power amp that I have, you will be pleased with it :)

Effem wrote:

Well if it sounds as good as the power amp that I have, you will be pleased with it :)

Certainly hope so, first time ive bought completely blind, but hey thats half the fun! Its the CA3 model, which was the top integrated and has the same output as the power (and pre-outs to use with the power) so hopefully should sound similar.

Dexter wrote:

hifikrazy wrote:

Didn't your Mum ever tell you to tuck in your shirt? :raoflmfao:

Was waiting for comments about my state of dress:P. Yeh she probablydid, im just rebelling. (not very good at it). Actually theres not much point in looking smart in my job, and i always seem to find a way tolook scruffy even in decent suits etc.

looks looooooovely ,let us know what it sounds like ?

Nice, reminds me of the brand Restek from Germany (they love Chrome over there):)

Its a Cymbol CA3. Its the integrated brother of the power amp frank has.

First impression: This thing sounds huuggge, almost too huge for my current tiny listening area, it certainly loves to boogie and sounds much bigger than its 60w would suggest. The imaging is truly amazing with real depth and precision, its most certainly a step up from amps ive had before (and a total bargain at what i paid for it). Now if you'll excuse me i have to go grin like an idiot in front of my speakers. :D

And a very nice friend it looks too!

If it's as good at its price point as the CA1 is/was, you should have an excellent time with it.

Happy listening,

Boxer

Well after a couple of hours listening last night i can definitely say this is a very nice amp. I can also say that i probably need a new source. And speakers as i rather think its showing up the limitations of both :)

The bass is just too much (but then the speakers are really as well) for the room so ill have to do something about that, my usual cable is a bit short so am running some van damme stuff in long lengths cos it was cheap, but i think its at least partly responsible for the slightly wayward sound.

Mmmm..thats sometimes the problem with upgrades - they lead to more upgrades!

What kit are you using with the amp?

These little Cymbol amps certainly give a great sound although they need good accompanying kit to bring out the best in them.

I upgraded the power supply reservoir caps from 4700uF to 10,000uF in my power amp and it improved in soundyet again with better definition and control.

Not being used at the moment so fancy the idea ofbi-amping HIFIKRAZY? :green:

Papa Lazarou wrote:

Mmmm..thats sometimes the problem with upgrades - they lead to more upgrades!

What kit are you using with the amp?

Rather embarassingly im currently using a Rotel RCD-965 as a transport into either a micromega duo dac or different no-name dac (very similar internals to MF X-24K). The speakers are tannoy 611 MKII. So yes could definitely do with an upgrade! Think ill be getting rid of a few more bits ive got hanging around (the duo, a couple of amps..........)

Effem wrote:

These little Cymbol amps certainly give a great sound although they need good accompanying kit to bring out the best in them.

I upgraded the power supply reservoir caps from 4700uF to 10,000uF in my power amp and it improved in soundyet again with better definition and control.

Not being used at the moment so fancy the idea ofbi-amping HIFIKRAZY? :green:

heh heh, i wondered if you might try and tempt me ;) Trouble is, as you can read above i really think the rest of the kit could use a leg up. Really dont want to get rid of the speakers, but may have to (tempted to re-wire them and tweak the crossover a little - better inductor would no doubt improve bass control). Be hard to replace though.