Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
icehockeyboy

Another cable find?

71 posts in this topic

Been reading a couple of threads in another forum, and to cuta long story short, a man has Chord Siggy speaker cable, tries Shark from Maplin, says it beats Chord.

Anyone tried this cable, is it a "big boy beater"?

icehockeyboy wrote:

No, but I've tried similar Van Damme efforts :cafe:... give me a proper foo cable, any time!

timpy wrote:

Foo cables for me too I'm afraid, currently I run a pre-production prototype of the basic Coherent Systems speaker cable.

How exactly do you run a speaker cable? You plug one end into the amplifier and the other into the loudspeaker. That’s it.

I’ve also seen people saying they run CD players FFS. Again, you plug it in, stick a CD in, and press play.

This is hifi, it doesn’t require running of any sort. More bollocks to try and make it sound as if some sort special knowledge is needed to press buttons!

If you want to run something then get a vintage car or something. Not a bit of wire.

cable run (′kÄ·bÉ™l ′rÉ™n)

(electricity) Path occupied by a cable on cable racks or other support from one termination to another

icehockeyboy wrote:

Been reading a couple of threads in another forum, and to cuta long story short, a man has Chord Siggy speaker cable, tries Shark from Maplin, says it beats Chord.

having taken chord signature apart its 7 core coax cable pure copper with foil wrap too

given the two thick outter covers it has it must be a coax cable thats designed for underground use

so if the cable being put up against it is like that it could well be better

that speck of coax is RG-178/U and RG179/U

also to a better spec is RG-214/U

Chord claim signature is 9 core but its seven with a braid and foil too

timpy wrote:

People rave about shark it seems. I've never tried it. Tried many others though, Van Damme consistently being my least favourite at anything.

Foo cables for me too I'm afraid, currently I run a pre-production prototype of the basic Coherent Systems speaker cable.

Tim this reminds me of your Omiga Audio days when many people used CAT5 or T+E cables very happily, I recall you liked putting the boot in then funnily enough about those, I see no change in the intervening period now VD is getting it in the neck.

FWIW I likedyour posts on the Sony ES stuff but why 12 posts into this forum do we need to see this type of crap about Van Damme cables ? It just causes bad feeling FWIW.

Why does it cause bad feeling CJ? :?

I think those that "run" van damme do so because they see no need for anything else, in which case they're more than happy enough to let the foo bunch "run" whatever they like, hardly upsets me, I think its great speaker cable, does the job perfectly and costs pittance.

Matt J wrote:

Why does it cause bad feeling CJ? :?

I think those that "run" van damme do so because they see no need for anything else, in which case they're more than happy enough to let the foo bunch "run" whatever they like, hardly upsets me, I think its great speaker cable, does the job perfectly and costs pittance.

As I say Matt, I have seen this before with the same chap, a slagging off of cheap cables that many use happily, only to suggest £££ foo foo grade cables as alternatives. Just riles meas being "wrong". I mean should wego about saying that any expensive cables are a waste of time and more to do with the listener wanting to hear a difference ? It would kick off big style.I agree with your points above BTW about using VD.

mosfet wrote:

timpy wrote:

How exactly do you run a speaker cable? You plug one end into the amplifier and the other into the loudspeaker. That’s it.

I’ve also seen people saying they run CD players FFS. Again, you plug it in, stick a CD in, and press play.

This is hifi, it doesn’t require running of any sort. More bollocks to try and make it sound as if some sort special knowledge is needed to press buttons!

If you want to run something then get a vintage car or something. Not a bit of wire.

You use run because its easier than saying -" I plug in, stick a cd in and press play a "name of your cd player"":D

To me a run of speaker wire is correct useage of the word.

I use "use" most of the time. Sometimes I use fondle and carress at other times i've used other words but my current speakers aren't ported.:D

Damn - hey mods! ....how comemy previousIgnore setting failed on cjr's post? :x

Does the Ignoresetting turn itself off after a time?

JANDL100 wrote:

Damn - hey mods! ....how comemy previousIgnore setting failed on cjr's post? :x

Does the Ignoresetting turn itself off after a time?

Must do Jerry I am seeing your post ;-).