Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cas

Bang! Bang! Bang!

17 posts in this topic

Hi

Just earlier today I was playing some vinyl and as I putting away an LP, all of a sudden........

BANG! BANG! BANG! from the speakers.

Me trousers went :td: :td:

So I turned everything off and drew a deep breath, I then went for a few beers and returned.

Yup, you guessed it, turned everything on and from the TT input, BANG! BANG! BANG!..

Unplugged the input from the Phonostage and all quiet, ssshhhh.

Leaving the phonostage unpugged switched between all the inputs on the amp, all OK :)

Then plugged the phonostage into a different input on the amp and,

BANG! BANG! BANG!

I assume the phonostage has blown :(, lucky its the one from Project that came with the TT :)

So now I am looking for a new phonostage to go between my Ortofon Rondo Red and the Primare I390 amp........

Only really want to spend about £100 on this, but then you know me, this could get higher :)

Thanks......................

Ouch.:? My sympathies.

If you fancy something new, rather than trying to fix it ....

Audio Innovations P2 Valve Phono Stage EBAY_LINKcurrently at £155 with a day to go ...

Michell Phono stage, Iso HR with Hera PSUEBAY_LINK- might go too high, though

Cambridge Audio 640P EBAY_LINK

MF XLPS V3 is c.£130 from moorgates (I like it a lot and it was £250) - sure there are loads of other options like the Cambridge 640p for £60 new (I think).

zygote23 wrote:

I have this:

phono.jpg?imgmax=576

It's practically new all boxed and neat as a new pin.

Thanks for the offer but its the same as the one here that blew, really do not want to chance another, sorry.............

Just plugged the Phonostage into my old amp and guess what ?

Yup, BANG! BANG! BANG!

Am I glad it did that, least I now know it is deffinitely not the amp, PHEW!

Think I may get the Cambridge one mentioned, that will do for me :)

LOL Cas you suffer indecision worse than me. I guess you can ignore my PM then ;)

Happy hunting.

If you have the cash available I'd recommend the Icon Audio Ps1........I love it.

Cas wrote:

Thanks for the offer but its the same as the one here that blew, really do not want to chance another, sorry.............

It's understandable I guess, but if it helps we have sold many hundreds of them and haven't ever had one fail like that ...In factI don't think we have ever had one fail full stop. Anyway ... its certainly not a unreliable unit generally.

Uncle Ants wrote:

Cas wrote:

It's understandable I guess, but if it helps we have sold many hundreds of them and haven't ever had one fail like that ...In factI don't think we have ever had one fail full stop. Anyway ... its certainly not a unreliable unit generally.

Thanks for the pointer :)

Just ordered a Cambridge Audio 640p.................

Project one will be returned to whence it came.................

Hi Cas, I have just bought a 640p this morning to have a little play around with, I don't know if you have ever heard one but so far both myself and a couple of mates are very inpressed, I do believe in burn in and expect it to get better in the next day or two,

One thing we noticed it is far better with a sut into the mm, I am useing an old pair of Ortofon T5 transformers but I don't really know how these stack up against a more up to date step up,

I use an AT at33pgt ( thanks for the help fromRay70 )If you don't own one alreadymaybe you could borrow or buy a sut and give it a go.

Uncle Ants wrote:

Cas wrote:

:goodone: agree they make good stuff and the fault is so strange too :geek: now if a channel went dead or both but bang bang BANG ?

Davewhityetagain wrote:

Uncle Ants wrote:
Cas wrote:

:goodone: agree they make good stuff and the fault is so strange too :geek: now if a channel went dead or both but bang bang BANG ?

Yup, sure does go BANG BANG BANG.....

It is like the crack you get when a capacitor discharges.

It is not intermittant either is is a steady BANG BANG BANG, just as though a cap is charging and then discharges. Caps go and when they go this is what they normaly do, they do not hold a charge, well the other is leak, but they aint leaking.

The Project box has 4 of em.

doesnt sound like a cap to me.

more likely an opamp gone.

adamus wrote:

doesnt sound like a cap to me.

more likely an opamp gone.

Thanks for the info, I was only having a guess :)