Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wow and flutter

What type of speaker?

12 posts in this topic

Is there a difference between speakers designed for use with two channel Hi-Fi, and those designed as the front pair of a 5:1 system?

The current issue of HFN suggest there is. I can understand that speakers designed for AV might not suit Hi-Fi if they rely on a sub to deliver bass, but I find it hard to believe that some thing like a Spendor S6e, often seen paired with sats and a centre speaker is musically impaired.

Many of the traditional Hi-Fispeaker manufacturers produce a family of speakers these days, i.e. Main, satellite, centre & often sub, so does this mean they are compromising their designs from delivering the ultimate 2 channel experience in favour of the AV fraternity?

W&F

a good hifi speaker will make a good front speaker for an AV system, and it probably works the other way around too, so I don't suppose there is too much to get worried about.

I personally havn't heard much evidence to suggest that manufacturers are designing their speakers differently to accomodate AV - do you have any examples?

Biscuit wrote:

a good hifi speaker will make a good front speaker for an AV system, and it probably works the other way around too, so I don't suppose there is too much to get worried about.

I personally havn't heard much evidence to suggest that manufacturers are designing their speakers differently to accomodate AV - do you have any examples?

Both the Acoustic Energy Aelite 3 and Monitor Audio Silver RS8 are described by Steve Harris, in March HFN group test, as primarily Home cinema speakers. I find this perplexing.

The other two in the test, Dali Ikon 6 & Triangle Antal Esw fare better, with the Triangle coming out best for music.

W&F

I think perhaps that some speakers are compromised to be used in a multi speaker setup, but the compromise is usally an aesthetic one, ie if you need 5 speakers plus a sub, then 5 b&w 800's is gonna need a lotta room, Take their new XT range which is compromised design for HT, narrow baffles, usually tall and slim, and often as their are more of them, then quality will be compromised to keep budgets down, thats not to say they won't do convincing hifi, but the new xt range has a top model whose price is between the 703 and 704, if you were listning mostly to music these other 2 may be a better bet.

thats my understanding of it, but as has been said if you like the sound.....look at Rudolph he.s happy using an AV amp for stereo.

Depends.

Speakers like the spendors, meadowlarks and the new Linn ones , to name a few will hold their own for decent hifi reproduction as well.

Those designed exclusively for AV duties like Bose , Kefs(some) etc will always need the sub to create the hifi experience.How well this can be achieved is another matter.

The design of a cube speaker has its limitations on the the frequencies that can be accurately produced (if at all) and also factors like diffraction, tonality etc play a role thus limiting its function.

The frequency limits(range) on the spec sheet can be a useful guide(guide only).

Remembering that the hearing range is 20hz - 20khz , a front speaker spec sheet that gives a frequency range with as wide an extension across the range above is likely to perform well as a hifi speaker as well.

If you are looking at hifi speakers only then the spec sheet is just that - a spec sheet, and may or may not be indicative of the results achievable.

Spkr manufacturers new their birhday had come with home cinema.

Now you need 7 boxes of stuff not just 2

Thats the biggest difference and don't they love it.

If they sound good they are...................... finito :dude:

Preferably get some decent speakers you like (maybe with adequate 'imaging'/LF cababilities) for main e.g. stereo L-R duties, and use any old thing for rear accessory channels - IMO. Centre-speakers/subwhoofters/70000 other channels are unnecessary, as important info comes from good 'stereo' setup.

I heard a Linn 5:1 setup at the Glasgow show using Akurate speakers and it sounded absoluetly awful in 5:1 mode but ok in stereo.

You pays yer money....

I was always of the train of thought that a good hi-fi speaker should have no problem doing AV duty, but not necessarily the other way round. Like wise a sub that can do music will be fine doing explosions but definitely NOT the other way round and it's about time somebody told RE...................er..........sorry, i digress! :clout:

I agree there should be no difference between an AV speaker and a hi-fi one, unless the issue of *shudder* stuff like THX approval is raised. AFAIAC this does work quite well for movies, but tends to make music sound very lifeless.