Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hifinut

MAINS FILTERS PAHH GO BACK TO THE SOURCE FOR BEST RESULTS

37 posts in this topic

Iv just a an electrician friend (cheaper;)) install a dedicated consumer unit just for my hifi direct from my meter end bypassing the thinner old wiring,I have got seperate RCBO's (does over current and 30ma trip in one) for each bit of kit also fitted a new earth rod with 10mm.

Running 6mm copper in radial circuits this consistently sounds & looks on tv better than ANY mains product Iv ever tried period all wanky wires etc are just out of their legue in comparisson.

Any normal leccy guy will say that 2.5mm twin & earth will run a hifi fine yes it will but it wont lower the impeadence like this does thats what you need to do not constrict dynamics with complications to the circuit the simpler path the better.

Several mates inc my leccy friend have the same MEM CU's in their kit too & no mains filters make any difference apart from degrading it as demonstrated when I briefly tried a PS audio P500 wich made my mates cd player sound slow via his dedicated line & no better on my old mains ether!

The cost mine was £300 ;) thanks mate :^ but could differ depending upon who installs it.

JUST TO ADD DO NOT TRY TO DO ANY WORK ON MAINS ON YOUR OWN THIS WAS DONE BY A PROFESSIONAL !

The results a massive soundstage a blacker background Iv heard things that where not there before stuff like Floyd sounds superb the volume control can be pumped up a lot more without congestion or going brittle at the topend,oh the bass depth tightness and control are exemplary as are the mids too little outlay for BIG gains not a hifi wanky ad in sight MEM will start been in hifi ads soon :P

I guess the critics will poo poo my post now saying this dont or cant work you should hear it it does!

Feel free to PM questions that I cannot reply to,to keep within this forums rules thanks.

6mm copper, blimey, you need a strong sparky just to bend it into shape!

I reckon this is a great plan, and had already been planning to do something similar when I move house. Certainly not a DIY project though :nup:

Congrats, sounds like a great upgrade, and relatively inexpensive too :^

I'm assuming that it's relatively easy to compare this to your original mains source, have you done this blind yet, and how easy was it to tell the difference please?

Feel free to pm me the answer, if you think that the question is inappropriate for the forum - thanks.

hifinut wrote:

also fitted a new earth rod with 10mm.

Just out of interest, how is this earth connected to the main earth system for your house? Or isn't it?

hifinut wrote:

Iv just a an electrician friend (cheaper;)) install a dedicated consumer unit just for my hifi direct from my meter end bypassing the thinner old wiring,I have got seperate RCBO's (does over current and 30ma trip in one) for each bit of kit also fitted a new earth rod with 10mm.

Running 6mm copper in radial circuits this consistently sounds & looks on tv better than ANY mains product Iv ever tried period all wanky wires etc are just out of their legue in comparisson.

Any normal leccy guy will say that 2.5mm twin & earth will run a hifi fine yes it will but it wont lower the impeadence like this does thats what you need to do not constrict dynamics with complications to the circuit the simpler path the better.

Several mates inc my leccy friend have the same MEM CU's in their kit too & no mains filters make any difference apart from degrading it as demonstrated when I briefly tried a PS audio P500 wich made my mates cd player sound slow via his dedicated line & no better on my old mains ether!

The cost mine was £300 ;) thanks mate :^ but could differ depending upon who installs it.

JUST TO ADD DO NOT TRY TO DO ANY WORK ON MAINS ON YOUR OWN THIS WAS DONE BY A PROFESSIONAL !

The results a massive soundstage a blacker background Iv heard things that where not there before stuff like Floyd sounds superb the volume control can be pumped up a lot more without congestion or going brittle at the topend,oh the bass depth tightness and control are exemplary as are the mids too little outlay for BIG gains not a hifi wanky ad in sight MEM will start been in hifi ads soon :P

I guess the critics will poo poo my post now saying this dont or cant work you should hear it it does!

Feel free to PM questions that I cannot reply to,to keep within this forums rules thanks.

:pop:They'll be along any minute now.

hifinut wrote:

There is nothing wrong with a bit of fantasy. Some people have Jesus, some have fairies at the bottom of the garden and some imagine that pissing around with mains leads can change the sound of a hifi. :oj:

I prefer things as they really are.

johnniebaby wrote:

Ding ding! That didn't take too long....

i_should_coco wrote:

johnniebaby wrote:

Nope, so predictable... first person to hit my ignore list, due to not actually having to read his posts to know what they say...

Personally, I think the believers would be more upset if sceptics didn't post rather than if they did.

What we have here is a person equating a personal experience to a universal reality, i.e., I heard my hi-fi sound much better after a mains 'upgrade' therefore a mains upgrade makes your hi-fi sound much better.

We would need to investigate and test objectively to see if a mains upgrade does improve the sound of hi-fi.

Otherwise, for example, I might eat a Sainsbury's chicken pie on a Wednesday evening and then win the lottery and I might say "Go and eat a Sainsbury's chicken pie and you will win the lottery."

Yomanze wrote:

i_should_coco wrote:
johnniebaby wrote:

Nope, so predictable... first person to hit my ignore list, due to not actually having to read his posts to know what they say...

Tried your Firefox speed tweak. it works great. Ta.

notaclue wrote:

Personally, I think the believers would be more upset if sceptics didn't post rather than if they did.

What we have here is a person equating a personal experience to a universal reality, i.e., I heard my hi-fi sound much better after a mains 'upgrade' therefore a mains upgrade makes your hi-fi sound much better.

We would need to investigate and test objectively to see if a mains upgrade does improve the sound of hi-fi.

Otherwise, for example, I might eat a Sainsbury's chicken pie on a Wednesday evening and then win the lottery and I might say "Go and eat a Sainsbury's chicken pie and you will win the lottery."

:goodone:

DEALER

Personally I prefer Crabtree consumer units.

MEM are gay.

bigdur wrote:

Personally I prefer Crabtree consumer units.

MEM are gay.

What an appalling thing for someone from the Midlands to say! MEM is a good Brummie company and deserves (needs) your support! ;)

Cheers

Dave

DEALER

Rover was run by a bunch of Brummies too :nup: