Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DB

Cartidge Advice Please

74 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Just decided to treat myself to a new (second) turntable and after much debate have settled on Michell's Odyssey which comes complete with their Technoarm.

I'm now looking for a cartridge to suit this and my AVI integrated (with phono stage) and AVI Trios.

I'm after an m/c and really don't want to go beyond about 350 quid at present, less would be welcome, so anybody any thoughts on which carts I should be shortlisting?

Cheers

Dave

With that combo I'd look at the Ortofon Rondo Red. I think it's just under £350 (£300 I think). Very good carts and I seriously condsidered the Blue version before settling on the dorian.

Last year the Michell Odyssey/Technoarm combo was reviewed with the RondoBlue by Dave Price in Hifi World - admittedly he like Michell and Ortofon - but he was very impressed with this combo. I think the stlyus profile is the main difference between the two - the Blue is £100 more.

Other than that I used a Goldring Elite (£250) on my Orbe/technoarm combo before the Dorian and thoroughly enjoyed it.

All my carts are run into a Trichord Dino+ and I'm not familiar with the AVI amps but I'm sure these would match quite well.

Thanks Griffo,

very quick response and from outside my home town too!

I'm glad to have you suggest the Ortofons, I run a Kontrapunkt H in my current PT/SME set up and love it but frankly can't stretch to another one right now so I'm pleased to hear the lower cost Ortofon's get a positive verdict.

Do you happen to recall which edition of HFW had the Odyssey review ?

Cheers

Dave:)

Not sure exactly but it was about July/August (ish) last year. I have the edition at home somewhere - I'll check over the weekend see if I still have it and report back on Monday (no internet at home). Just checked their web page no mention of back issues :x

By all accounts the Odyssey is a super TT and Technoarm a great match - and I'm not just saying that cos I use one on my Orbe. Looks pretty damn gorgeous as well :love:.

Thanks again Griffo,

I was torn between the Odyssey and an Orbe SE and I have to admit that the looks did play a part in my final decision - it is gorgeous! I suspect I'll end up buying the Orbe platter upgrade at some point though:nerd:

I have a contact in Canada who can provide Ortofon Kontrapunkts at excellent prices if you're interested? He also sells Rohmanns, Jubilees etc.

I paid £360 inc shipping last year (no import tax - value marked at $15) for a Kontrapunkt B. That was a £390 saving on UK price :D

Hi Papa,

That is very interesting indeed, admittedly slightly above the ceiling I'd set myself but if I was able to get a "B" at 360 I'd be sorely tempted to wait for one more payday and then go for it. Please do pass on the contact details.

bearddavid@yahoo.com if you prefer not to post the details here.

Thanks

Dave

p.s. wile very grateful for such a contact and happy to provide a return favour whenever possibleI'm really not prepared to go along with "Daave you're my wife now!" :shock:

denon dl304 nothing under 500 quid comes near.

don't get any ortofon cartridges. go for a van den hul. far better

Hi Rudolph,

thanks for your input, must admit the Denon is one I'd thought seriously about, can't quite accept your "ortofon's no good" view at face value since I love the Kontrapunkt I'm using on my PT / SME rig but nonetheless interested in comparing with the Denon, how would you describe it's advantages ?

Cheers

Dave.

much cleaner with very little surface noise.

if your going to get a good cartridge stick with a van den hul. they are the best you can get. i have a high end dealer friend, who calls most cartridges JUNK. mention ortofon or audio technica to him and he laughs. and he knows his stuff alright he uses a rockport sirius. which is a 100k deck.