Due to a configuration issue, PayPal are currently configuring some changes for us therefore PayPal’s gateway is temporarily unavailable. We have set up a safe alternative gateway called Stripe so please use this for your Super Wammer subscription upgrades. Many thanks. Tech Team

The SEARCH function is currently under review due to a large number of old unstructured posts. This may take up to 1-2 days to complete. Alternatively, please use Google search; for eg: amplifier site:hifiwigwam.com/forum/

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rulocal

Amps for a Rega Saturn

21 posts in this topic

I have just picked up a Rega Saturn and am contemplationg replacing my MF XT100 which is currently powering my Proac 1scs. Anybody got any suggestions? Looking to spend up to 700 second hand. I listen to all sorts of music and am looking for something to bring a bit of the tingle factor to proceedings. Loving all aspects of the Saturn except a slight lack of involvement.

Cheers

S/H Naim 112(122)/150. Will give involvement by the bucket load and ime Naim amps synergise big-time with Rega CDPs.

Strat

In my experience you can partner the Saturn with more or less what you like, I auditioned mine with Naim equipment (it was a totally flat earth shop) and it sounded better than the Naim CD5x in a NAIM system. I bought the CD player and stuck it in a totally valve amplified system and it sounds great to me.

I have heard it partnered with a top end Marantz amp with Triangle speakers and it sounded great.

Go for an amp that will have synergy with your speakers and gives you the sound you want, The Saturn will be fine with just about anything you partner it with I should think.

Lots of stuff is said and written about Naim equipment much of which I would agree with much I wouldn't. The only way to find out is to listen for yourself. I personally find it very involving and certainly not harsh or cold as some would say.

A Nait 5 integrated (don't get a 3 widely seen as the archilles heal in the Naim history) would certainly do the job - a friend of mine has it with the Apollo and it sings - but a 112/150 would be more involving and I suggest warmer.

Wither way there's loads of other amps that would do the job.

Strat

I've got the baby brother to the Saturn, the Apollo. I've run it witha few different amps in its time; Cambridge Audio A4+P500 combo, Nad C370 and now the Exposure XXV. Even temporarily I had it feeding a old Rogers Cadet 3. In all cases it sounded great and stood out compared to any other source I've got. I think its just a really good all round player that doesn't need partnering with anything in particular to compensate for any difficiences.

Love the Saturn. It's a fantastic cd player (I also prefer it to the cd5x).

It would partner well with the energetic Nait5iwhich you can pick up for around £500 second hand. Personally, I would want a more revealing and neutral amp.

Forless than£700 used:

Densen Beat B110 - certainly on the lively side of neutralwith tight bass-would synergise very well with the Saturn imho

Arcam FMJ A32- perhaps not so lively but certainly more transparent andpowerful than the Nait -prices for a brand new A32 arenow half RRPas discontinued.

AVI Lab Series - never heard one of these but used examples would fall into your price range and these amps are always recommended. Lots of power.

Thanks folks. A shortlist is beginning to form.

Naim Nait 5

Densen B110

AVI Integrated

I am also going to keep an eye out for a Sugden.

I must say the Saturn appears to be getting better and better. The only significant gripe is the screen, which, to be honest, is awful.

rulocal wrote:

I must say the Saturn appears to be getting better and better. The only significant gripe is the screen, which, to be honest, is awful.

TBH the aesthetics of all Rega electronics IMO leaves much to be desired but that's because they put the money where it counts - inside. I didn't know the Arcam FMJ is half price which makes it a very serious contender.

Strat

The Strat wrote:

I didn't know the Arcam FMJ is half price which makes it a very serious contender.

Strat

The FMJ is a very good amp for £700.:^

As for the Saturn's aesthetics: I really like the look. The red LED display is particularly 'retro' andpartners wellwith my Moon i5. :cool:

rulocal wrote:

Does the A32 have a fixed level in like the A85? That will be useful for AV duties.

I also used to have an a85 - aboutfive or sixamps ago. The A32 has the 'unity gain' of the A85 for AV duties.

The A32 also has better parts selection, improved build and more power than the A85.... :^

Cheers again.

I like to look of the Saturn and the retro screen. The problem with the screen is that it is set so deep into the facia, you cannot see the whole thing unless you are at eye level. It just seems fixed in the wrong place. As you say though, it sounds stunning and that is where it counts.

my experience of Rega cd players is tha the speaker matching is more importnat than the amp, that was based using the Jupiter for 4 years. they dont particularly lean in any direction regarding tone so i think the speakers and amp choice is wide open and tailored to your listening / roomrequirements.

if you like your Proacs i would loook for an amp to match them rather than the cd player.

if you want a matching system a cursa / maia would fall within budget.

the Sugden a21a is just superb, i cant speak highly enough of it and altho i havent heard the Response 1sc / a21a combo personally,i believe it is often a recommended partnership on the forums.

rulocal wrote

Turn it off then!:) (Second button up from the bottom on the left hand side of the remote)

My Saturn is on the top shelf of it's rack as it is a top loader, from that position I have never had a problem reading it from either sitting or standing from the listening position, admittedly that is straight in front of it.

I use the program facility quite a lot then just turn the display off.