Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bass007

New amps to compliment ART Deco 8 Speakers

23 posts in this topic

Sugden would be a good choice, even the littleMusicmaster . Heard it on the end of a pair of Emotions Sigs and standards. I was not happy, not enough money:grrr:

I agree with james listen to the emitter, I use one with emotion signatures and it just lets you forget about the system and listen to the music. cheers alex.

The ASR isn't a bad amp especially if you need high current delivery, but if your speakers are efficient I wouldn't write off valves.

If you must have solid state gear I'd personally have a listen to both the Class A Pass Labs equipment and the Dartzeel 108B. The McIntosh is typical US "High End" - nice sound nice ergonomics. If you want great sound you need to look outside of the envelope in my experience.

Hi Tune, thinking outside the envelope, I get what your saying, I guess i've just got a stigma with low power amps I will to take some time out and borrow some valve amps, I think the dartzel is out of my price range at the moment...hmm could sell my dogs...:shock:

The Diablo is a great piece of kit, but (and having heard both) it's not imho as good as the earlier Callisto. The Diablo seems to push the music towards you a little, while the Callisto invites you to listen... It's difficult to explain, but hopefully you get my drift. The Callisto was once hailed as the best integrated amp in the world andeven thoughthat was a while ago now, it does mean that secondhand examples represent extraordinary value for money. Hopefully Papa L and I can agree to disagree - he prefers the Karan, I prefer the Gryphon!

The Pass Labs power amps are awesome. If I was after a seperate pre- and power-amp combination I'd definintely be investigating these.

However, my next amp is likely to be an ASR. It won't be new, but they are sooo good... :22:Have a look at http://www.asraudio.com- there's lots of info there. There are also glowing reviews that can be sourced on t'internet.